Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The Orphanage [DVD] forum

Subtitles??? Please help!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Nov 2008 15:19:37 GMT
Did anyone else have the problem of not following the story properly due to poor subtitles?

or is there a setting which turns them on fully and not just every now and then so i dont have to try and piece together stuttered sentences?!!!!

please help!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2009 19:19:06 BDT
Satrus says:
I have only just come across your post. I bought this DVD some months ago and only removed the shrink wrap in the past few days to view it. I couldn't get the Subtitles to display even though this is enabled in the Set Up on my DVD Player. I tried a second copy today of this DVD and the same thing happened. I have e-mailed Pioneer (my machine is a Pioneer XV-DV313) and also Optimum Releasing the company that releases/manufactures this DVD. I have had no answer from Optimum in London, UK and await a response from Pioneer. All of my other DVDs display Subtitles without any problem. I had intended to order 5 or 6 foreign language movies from Amazon but since Optimum Releasing is the company responsible for them, I have shelved this plan. Did you ever resolve the problem you found?

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 10:54:44 BDT
Do you have a widescreen TV? On mine, it defaults to 'CINE' setting, thus cropping the subtitles. I set the screen to 'SUB' and the picture moves to the top of the screen, thus revealing the subtitles. I hope this helps as it a great film!

Posted on 20 May 2011 21:02:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2011 21:04:23 BDT
N. Bolton says:
There are no problems with your DVD disc - it sounds like a screen issue. As most of the subtitles are presented in the black part under the picture, if you have zoomed into the picture only area - this would explain why you are only seeing a very few subtitles (some subtitles do appear on the picture, mostly when there are several lines to display) . You need to ensure your TV is set to a 16:9 aspect ratio for this disc - don't zoom in so that the picture fills the whole screen. If you have your TV set correctly the picture won't be stretched at all and you will have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen - even on a widescreen TV. The 'CINE' setting sounds like some kind of central zoom. You should have aspect ratio options on your TV handset and/or on any screen set up options that you can cycle through. (Pre widescreen TV programmes on DVD are best watched in 4:3 mode, although many people seem to stretch them sideways on a widescreen TV. You will need to change aspect ratios now and again or some things will be distorted). If the TV adjustments don't work check your DVD player is set to the correct aspect ratio too.
Hope this helps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Orphanage [DVD] forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  17 Nov 2008
Latest post:  20 May 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions