Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Subaltern: Chronicle of the Peninsular War: A Chronicle of the Peninsular War Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the AuthorsDiscover books, learn about writers, and more.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
His style is semi-literary though still vivid. San Sebastian (after the sack) represented a 'chilling sense of the horrible points of our profession'; Wellington and Soult are described as `two mighty gamesters' during the Battle of the Nive. He is also somewhat philosophical in nature. He declines to delve into lengthy national stereotypes of the Spanish and Portuguese allies for example like so many Peninsular writers. He does place his account in context but as he wrote his work before Napier, the first great historian of the war, he avoids repeating ad verbatim large chunks of narrative featuring actions he was not present at. His style is perfectly honest; frequently deprecating his limitations to the reader at conveying events.
Gleig is particularly valuable for understanding how the British and French fought on a battalion basis.Read more ›
A very worthwhile read however serious you are about history.
The book is surprisingly easy to read, especially considering how long ago it was written. The horrors of 19th Century warfare are not glossed over by the author.
I would like to read some more military books written in the same period.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Good read with plenty of detail about the military campaign in the Peninsular.Published 6 months ago by John
IT WAS A EXCELLENT BOOK A GOOD HISTORY OF THE PENINSULAR WAR BY SOMEBODY WHO WAS THERE AND SAW ACTION AND IT WAS INTERESTING AS WELL.Published 8 months ago by Dora Woods
Just finished this interesting book. George Gleig chronicles his life as a Subaltern in the 85th Regiment of Light Infantry (the Bucks Volunteers) during a short period and up to... Read morePublished 18 months ago by More Cheese Gromit?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Industrial Revolution
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Peninsular War
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Queen Anne, Georgian, Victorian 1701-1901
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 19th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Napoleonic Wars
- Books > History > Military History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > Branches > Army
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > World