on 15 January 2004
Wow! Linux For All, at last!
Simple installation, anyone with basic understanding of computers (who has taken a little time to read the excellent manual!) can be up and running in less than an hour. It's a no-brainer!
Goodbye viruses, crashes, popups, popunders, and expensive software upgrades.
For what most people want to do (Browse the web, e-mail, write word documents/spreadsheets/presentations, print, scan, make web pages, play/burn CD's, connect their digital camera, etc) this is ideal! Even some decent games.
It can use a more modest machine than Windows XP to function, so maybe no need to scrap the old computer....but it can live on the same machine as XP.
I installed on an IBM T20 laptop, and as laptops in general are considered a 'Linux Challenge' I was amazed everything worked. Sound, suspend, modem. Easy.
Only restriction is that, out of the box, it won't play commercially-bought DVD's due to America's DMCA.
But 5 minutes with Google, some basic instructions, and even that's fixed now.
Love it!
(Ex-Red Hat 9 user, comfortable, but no expert with Linux)
on 26 February 2004
This is a nice distribution. If you are new to UNIX then remember it will be some work. Do you remember when you were new to Windows how much work it was ?! The work with this will not be in the installation. I installed a Linux distribution a few years ago and there was some work then. Those days are gone. SuSE 9.0 offers to automatically or with intervention partition your drives if you have another OS ( e.g. Windows ) on the same disk or computer. This comes with a free business grade office suite: Open Office 1.1.0. You only need to put some of your time into developing a low level of UNIX skills to be rewarded. Hardware detection has come a long way with Linux. One caveat. If you have a software modem you may have to play to get it going.
on 10 February 2004
I last toyed with SuSE a few years ago, SuSE 2.0; things have changed dramatically. Setup is not only quick, it's pain free, and jenny-proof. I was expecting to have to do a little work myself, but the only exercise I got was changing the installation CD's and clicking the mouse! It really is that simple.
Hardware support is, of course, a bone of contention, and my Proview LCD monitor and HP PSC 2115 are not supported, but the almost instaneous network setup done by YAST means I can use the Epson printer on the Windoze XP machine downstairs. With this in mind (XP interconnectivity,) I still needed access to XP folders on NTFS partitions, and I got this with SuSE (unlike Redhat.) The monitor issue is still unresolved (when I've got time) but the generic definitions work fine anyway.
I'm completely impressed. The 600 page Admin Guide is a godsend, though the usefullness of the Users Guide during setup is questionable. Why? YAST is so simple, you don't need a users guide during setup!
All in all, impressed, and yes, having fun! I won't be going back to Windoze. And to whoever at SuSE, thanks for the Gecko sticker included, still don't know what to do with it though...
on 30 March 2004
I have used linux on my second PC for ages now. But this version made it to my monster. 2.8Ghz P4 with 1Gb RAM (240Gb HDD). I was a little nervous at first. Make sure you defrag your C drive before installing. And it will resize your NTFS (Win 2k/XP) partition. Dual boots fine. Easiest OS I have installed. Better options than Windows. Nice thing with SuSE 9 is that novices can just go along with the defaults and pro's can customise it all the way. Desktop is clean and uncluttered. Rivals XP Pro. And I have to say that even more apps, clients, etc have been included. Well worth the money. You get 5 CD's a dual sided DVD and then two massive manuals. I suggest you ditch Mr. Gates and get this instead.
on 6 November 2003
I have now loaded the new version of SuSE 9.0 on my second computer as a single opperating system, And the program installed without any problems this time taking about 30 minutes and it even found my modem and updated the files from the SuSE site including my nvideo geforce 4 video card driver while loading the software program and the Yast partitioned my hard drive without any problems and installed the extra software this is the first version of SuSe that I have installed properly without having any problems.
I can recommend this version of SuSE 9.0 and will not be using MS windows so much in the future .
on 13 February 2004
In terms of value for Money this product cannot be beaten. The mast of software (5 cds, Dual sided DVD) include is remarkable. Including office apps, internet browsers to kids education programs.
Hardware detection is the best I have seen, YAST2 is idiot friendly. I created a fully fire walled router in 5 click on the mouse! The manuals are excellent and a pleasure to read.
Installation can be problematic, and I was tempted to give a lower rating because of this. However, this was due to faulty hardware (bad memory that crash the RAM drive, and a forgetful hard drive). Linux is far less tolerant of faulty / lower quality hardware (ie forgetful RAM) than windows (sad but true). Also, I feel it is unfair mark down this product due to it not supporting strange, cheaper 'windows driven' hardware (though support in the section is vastly improved!). You may have to be a proper external modem, or just get broadband (lets face it, you have a firewall!).
To conclude, I have used Linux for a while and I would recommend this to anyone who has hardware that is compatible with Linux (check out the web site for listings).
Enjoy!
PS You get a nice sticker as well :-)
on 13 March 2004
Having not used SuSE since 7.3, I thought that 9.0 would still be the non-user friendly operating system like it was back then. I was wrong. 9.0 detects all my hardware (except my TV card and configures it. It also has a built in easy-to-use firewall wizard that also offers internet sharing. There are a few bugs like USB Mass storage devices sometimes not being added to the desktop and the usual bugs that come from RPM, but overall it's a huge improvement from Linux of old.
on 9 February 2004
Fantastic alternative to Windoze, easy to install,and dual boot, 100 times more secure than mike o soft, doesn't need activation, no serial numbers brill!
on 27 January 2004
Suse linux 9.0 is an ideal choice if you want to try linux for the first time. The professional edition is the best buy .It includes an excellent manual that gives a very good technical backround .After a year all my family use linux, except my 14 year old son who is beyond hope .IT is very stable,virus free.I would suggest if you use Windows 98,or Windows me buying Partition Magic .
on 16 March 2004
If you want a complete version of linux which has been finely tuned and offers you a lot of stuff for your money - this is for you. The manuals have improved loads since I bought my first copy of SuSE (pronounced "Sue's-ahh") version 6.2. SuSE are more ahead of the game than the now-defunct commercial distro's of RedHat, with newer versions of the kernel and more experimental stuff available by default. I have grown to love this distro, esp given the amount of time and effort they put into getting it to run on Sony laptops (which use ACPI so are more tricky to configure). If you own a Sony laptop this is a must for you, if you don't I'd still recommend it!