on 14 February 2008
I have been using SuSE for the last 20 months and can honestly say it is the best OS out there. You can download it for free from opensuse.org but if you are new to linux then buying the box set it probably a better way to go.

I have used SuSE 10, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 on desktops and laptops. I have even used all these versions inside virtual machines on desktops and laptops. Everything works perfectly and if you do hit any snags there is a fantastic forum community willing to help you out. Check out suseforums.net to see what I mean.

Previously I used windows and don't consider it to be that bad i.e. I am not some rabid microsoft hater. I switched because I found that there were things I simply couldn't do in windows without spending money on 3rd party software. This annoyed me so I gave linux a try. I have never looked back.

One thing they don't seem to list about linux, and SuSE specifically, in the benefits is the GUI. There is an application called Compiz that creates a beautiful desktop cube. It's worth the switch just for this. Another app worth further investigation is conky (shows all your computer stats on the desktop background - it can also show rss feeds so you can have the weather and news headlines too). Google both terms to view some images.

Oh, one last thing. I cannot recommend strongly enough the SUSE Linux 10 bible as an accompaniment to the SuSE box set. I think, although am not certain, that if you buy the 10.3 version of the bible then the SuSE 10.3 dvd is included (but you obviously don't get the 90 day support stuff with that).
on 7 November 2008
I have been using opensuse 10.3 since virtually the day it was released, and have to say that overall I am very very impressed with the quality, variety and reliability of the software. This edition only seems to have one particular flaw, and that is that the YaST software manager takes several minutes to update from Internet sources before allowing you to choose packages to install or update. This has now been resolved in opensuse 11, so my recommendation would be to install the newer version rather than this one. However, this was overall an excellent release, and continued the trend for opensuse to improve significantly with every release.
on 11 December 2007
Have been using Suse for years on a server in a school without any problems. I have always found it an excellent O/S and very easy to use.
Please note that it now only comes on DVD - have told Amazon but they won't change the listing.
on 30 October 2008
Being a bit curious about Linux, I gave this a go and was very impressed. Very easy to install - did a dual-boot with my Vista laptop so I could use either. It has automatic updates and a good range of programs. I would really reccomend this as a good educational introduction to something other than Windows or Mac.
on 5 March 2008
Having dabbled with the downloaded version and liked it, I bought this to help me understand a bit more about Linux set-up and to get a package that worked (more later) without me wondering if it was me, the hardware, or the software, that had hiccupped somewhere.

The installation is easy, (I used a empty but formatted hard drive) and you can follow the main process through with the handbook in your hand to see what is happening. The only hassles have been WiFi (despite seeing the card and the router IP adress, it doesn't want to play ball, but is fine hard wired to the router) and graphic card. Despite a driver to support my NVIDIA card, the display is not as sharp as it should be and when trying to upgrade the driver \ display, it doesn't like it. However, using the handbook it was easy to back out and return to the previous set-up that is adequate for most office style tasks.

If you have a fairly basic PC going spare and are wondering how to put it to use, try this - cheaper than Windows, it performs a fair range of tasks and openSUSE seems to handle patches and upgrades without having to delve too far into the OS to get it up and running.
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse