on 7 November 2008
Every release of opensuse is just incrementally better than the previous, but the combined number of enhancements, bug fixes and various additional features make each upgrade a compelling one. Suse Linux has been one of the leading Linux distributions for a number of years, and the recent purchase of the distribution by Novell has seemingly only continued this upward trend. The option to purchase a boxed version here boils down to whether you wish to pay an additional fee to receive a support contract from Novell. If not, the the software can be freely downloaded (or you can pay somebody else a nominal fee to do it for you by purchasing the DVD-R version), and can be identical to the paid-for version once optional proprietary software is installed alongside the open source core.

Different Linux users have different opinions over which distribution is the best, but there is no doubt that opensuse is one of the most widely used and best supported ones available, with the opensuse wiki and support forums providing comprehensive information on the vast majority of issues a user may encounter. The quality, variety and reliability of the software in general is simply excellent.
on 10 March 2009
I have been running Linux on my home PCs and laptops for many years and OpenSuSE 11.1 is the best Linux I have yet experienced. With my IBM R61 laptop, everything worked immediately. I moved away from Ubuntu to OpenSuSE as I felt SuSE to have a more 'professional' feel - just a personal opinion.

Highly recommended.
on 2 August 2010
I'm new to Linux but I found SUSE 11.2 very straightforward and easy to install. My Internet, e.mail and Printer were all recognised and are operating well - I did have a Linux compatible printer. After all the chat about windows versus linux, at present with the KDE GUI I find linux easy to pick up through the GUI and dare I say, very similar to Windows in operation. The Terminal/command line is the interesting bit and I'm learning that fast with this very good product. I would highly recommend this Linux distribution to all Linux newbies (and oldies).
on 28 January 2009
I got to enjoy the Linux distribution that comes with the ASUS Eee PC (Xandros), so I decided to buy (well, it's free, but I didn't feel like downloading it and burning a DVD and what not) openSuse Linux.
Expecting more from a real Linux on a real PC (compared to the stripped down version on the Eee toy), I found out with great disappointment that:
*I can't connect my NTFS external USB HD
*I can't listen to MP3s!!
*nor do I succeed in viewing ANY videos.
Seems an internet connection is crucial. Hey, who isn't plugged in these days? I am. Alas! I am using the 3G mobile dongle to connect, and there isn't any straight-forward way of using that unfortunately. Where to from here? I guess I'll give another Linux distribution a try.
I am not saying DON'T buy. If you are a Linux person and you how to get all the aforementioned things running, do go ahead and buy, it's nice. Just not half as impressive as I was expecting.
Btw. during the installation choose KDE instead of GNOME. (Tried both, KDE seems just sooo much better!)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...