Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Aug 2007 11:51:13 BDT
I'm planning to take the Open University level 3 course AA307 next year, as part of my world development studies. I haven't taken the level 2 course Introducing Religion, and although it isn't a specified prerequisite, as a beginner in the topic I thought it might be useful to look through the set books for the level 2 course. Along with the very short introductions to Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Judaism and Islam, this is one of those books.

Has anyone else studied these courses though the OU (or similar academic courses elsewhere) and can you offer any insight into the books or the prerequisite level needed to tackle AA307?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2007 17:44:33 BDT
Hi Marge,
I've just completed the other 3rd level OU religion course AD317 (I'm also an OU tutor on a number of social science courses). I actually got through that course ok without having done the 2nd level religion course A217, just by relying on my background knowledge of religion, and I think that AA307 should be even more accessible in this respect, as the course team don't suggest you should have done A217 first (unlike with AD317). If you want background reading, I would recommend Ninian Smart's book 'World Religions' - comes very highly recommended by experts for both quality and accessiblity. The following link is to the paperback version on Amazon, available 2nd hand quite cheaply (£1.99 plus £2.75 postage). Good luck with AA307!
best wishes,
Martin Treacy
The World's Religions
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  8 Aug 2007
Latest post:  8 Oct 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Christianity: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Christianity: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by Linda Woodhead (Paperback - 25 Nov. 2004)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (10)