on 11 November 2003
Recommended to buy this range of revision guides by a friend, I was at first sceptical of their power. I was wrong! The moment you pick these books up, you are immediately absorbed in the straight-forward and easy to understand diagrams, the simple and no-nonsense explanations and most importantly the tips and hints to answering the exam questions perfectly.
Written by the examiners themselves, this support material gives the student an insight into their future exam papers and how best to tackle them.
Any A-level Biology student who is without these books is sorely missing out! Ensure you have learnt exactly what information you need and make sure you know it - buy these books!
on 10 January 2006
I have used this book and the previous books in this serious for my AS and A2 examinations this year and have found them to be very useful.
HOWEVER there are several mistakes that have come to my attention. For example the book proudly states that the resting potential is achieved by more potassium ion moving out than sodium ions moving in. This is of course WRONG as the resting potential is achieved by more SODIUM ions moving OUT than POTASSIUM ions moving IN!
For this alone I am giving this book 3 stars.
on 24 April 2011
I read this book in the summer before beginning studying biology. It was amazing! This sleek book summarised the entire unit in just a few pages; what's great about this book is that cuts out the nonsense and only states what you need to learn. This book is also perfect for revision, you can easily flick through to the parts you need to revise and topics like cell organelles are organised(pun not intended) neatly into tables outlining the essential features.
on 27 February 2013
I'd recently purchased the Unit 1 Chemistry version of this, and I was very impressed. As such I figured I'd give the Biology series a go and I was not disappointed. Everything is explained in a very clear concise way, but maintains the proper wording needed to achieve high grades in the exam. Certainly better than the Nelson Thornes series which contains far too much information needed, and is somewhat annoying to use for notes.
A great thing I feel about this book was how it went through the syllabus by header, and so when writing notes everything was grouped together perfectly and nothing could be missed.
A great buy.
An essential buy.
on 14 September 2014
This book is tiny - I didn't actually realise it was only unit 1 :( so in a way I saved less :/ but for the price, and the size, it seemed to cover more content than some books triple it's contents, so I was pleasantly (and also unfortunately) surprised went it took the fattest biology book I had bought in addition to this, to my first class thinking that would most likely have the most info I needed, then came home later and found the smallest and skinniest held the more useful info. This means I can now take a smaller and therefore lighter book but be reassure it still helps!

Shame it's only unit 1 - feels like AQA are profiteering a bit, but what can you do! Very helpful book (with the other unit) which would possibly stand alone help a biology student struggle their way to the exams! (Fingers crossed) I would recommend CGP (DNA cover) student book for AQA with this, just for that extra detail, because it's actually quadruple it's size, so it must have something extra this tiny thing misses! Overall worth the buy, happy with my purchase
on 21 September 2013
I've just stared AS-level biology with the AQA exam board. The book arrived today and it is brilliant! Clearly laid out, with good use of colour, but not so much so that it is overwhelming and not nice to look at (a problem I find with CGP revision guides...) Everything is explained well and concisely and written with specification references so that all topics are covered.

The best thing is that is is endorsed by AQA, but not written by the same people that write the official textbook, so the explanations are worded differently, which really helps if the textbook isn't making sense.

Definitely recommended.
on 11 February 2012
My Grandaughter asked me, as a retired teacher, to help her with this subject. I taught it last in the 1960's so was very much out of date. Although the syllabus is very differnt now the content is similar and I found these guides extremely helpful and consider the content to be sufficient for a student to attain a good A level grade. What a pity book 3 has not been printed!
on 3 July 2010
It's alright but you definitely need some background knowledge before you read this or you can use it for background knowledge but you definitely need to read another Study Guide. If I could go back, I wouldn't have got it. I relied way more on the bigger book for Collins.
on 13 June 2010
inexpensive, simple, small and efficient.
It won't tell you everything you need to know, but for revision on the go, it's a quality must have study material.
on 26 January 2012
This book is rubbish and my daughter felt that having it didn't benefit her at all. The seller was brilliant but the product didn't meet my expectations.