Nursing Standard, January 28 :: vol 23 no 21 :: 2009
- Case studies and quotes from students and nurses show readers that their thoughts and feelings are shared by others - this validation will reduce stress and anxiety and give credibility
- Humour and cartoons make the text readable and fun to use
- Hints, tips and practical advice encourage the ‘flagging’ student
- Appendices list other useful resources, contact details for organisations and websites
- The two-colour design makes it attractive to use
- Fully updated in line with changes in nursing practice e.g. the revised NMC Code of Professional Conduct, the Disability Discrimination Act, Agenda for Change and the Knowledge and Skills Framework, Essence of Care.
- Expanded section on nursing models
- More help with drug dosage calculations to assist students in developing their numeric skills.
- More on help on writing assignments and how to use research, including applications to practice
- Expanded appendices on children’s nursing and mental health branches.
- Template forms to assist with course applications, planning assignments and a check list for placements