on 23 July 2009
As an avid tennis fan and someone who was inspired to play tennis again after watching this epic 2008 Wimbledon final I couldn't wait for this book to arrive and I wasn't disappointed. I didn't put it down until I had finished it. Apart from the match itself it gave a great insight into aspects of the game that we don't really get to see or experience and also the players' early lives. A great read.
on 7 May 2014
Wimbledon Men's Final 2008: Champion Roger Federer going for a record 6th title in a row, against his nemesis, the Spaniard Rafael Nadal. Rain caused a late start, and then interrupted the flow of the match later on: would it actually end before the fading light forced play to stop (this was the year before the roof on Centre Court was finished), or would the players have to return the next day to finish it off? In a 5-set thriller lasting a little under 5 hours, in what many people now think of as one of the greatest tennis matches ever, we had our answer.

Wertheim skilfully weaves into and around his description of the match a mini-biography of each player, discussion of the "Fedal" rivalry and the players' playing styles, a view behind the scenes at the world's most famous tennis tournament, a lot of background information and much more, to give a quite riveting read which should be of interest to any tennis fan, and even those who are just curious about the sport and what makes a champion. My only caveats are that it's written for an American audience, and some of the sporting/cultural references may go over British readers' heads, and that I have niggling doubts as to the accuracy of a few of the facts. I originally borrowed this book from the library, and liked it so much that I read it through *twice*: something which hardly ever happens.
on 26 February 2014
I am halfway through this book, but so far I love it. Rarely have I read a book by a sports writer with so much talent and flair with words. It is a pleasure to read. While being factually accurate, it is concise, imaginative, gripping and really tells a story. (Many sports books seem to be a hastily assembled list of facts and dates, not written in an imaginative style.) For me this stands out like a beacon. The two characters (Federer and Nadal) come alive almost like protagonists in a novel. Packed with anecdotes and penetrating insights into the world of tennis. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Just hope that the author sees fit to write another book about the game. Would love to contact him and tell him how much I admire and enjoy the book.
on 4 September 2010
I am a fan of Rafa's and that historic match was wonderful for his fans and this book is too, it's written in an engaging way and is totally absorbing, I couldn't put it down (unlike some books such as the Biography about Rafa which doesn't tell diehard fans anything new)

I love to read as much as possible about Rafa, I'm a huge fan of his and always want to know more about him - this book doesn't dissapoint, I recommend it thoroughly.

Another great read is this poetry book which has over 80 poems in about Rafa as well as other poems about love. It's really brilliant and fans of Rafa will really love it.The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)
on 14 September 2011
I am an obsessive fan of Rafael Nadal so will read anything I can get my hands on. Read this alongside Rafa's own book. Got off to a bad start though as the author got a very checkable fact wrong in the first few pages - Rafa's birthday is not 6th June but 3rd June, that made me quite cross !!! I enjoyed the book but reading his own account of preparing for the Wimbledon final 2008 it differs from this one so it makes you wonder about other info. Would recommend to tennis fans.
on 4 November 2012
Lovely read and very informative about a single great sporting occasion, but it also provdes a wonderful insight into two of the most compelling sports people of our times and what has to be one of the most wonderful sporting rivalries of all time. You can't help but love both Federer and Nadal. Would highly recommend this book.
on 13 June 2011
This is an enthralling read for a tennis fan, and especially for fans of Nadal and Federer, a gripping analysis of this astonishing and unforgettable match that with rain interruptions lasted until darkness. I couldn't put it down.

Worth every penny and more.
on 12 March 2010
Bought it for my sister, we watched the match together before i was married and she read it and said it brought back the memories...(i think she cried) anyways fab book very detailed in her words " makes you feel like you were there "
on 10 July 2011
i would recommend this book for all rafa fans as it is amazing! it gives you full descripion of every minute of the match and you feel like you are their and watching it!! i think that its really worth it!
on 28 December 2011
The reviews I had read about this book were spot on so when the book arrived it was exactly what I was expecting. Book was in great condition so was delighted with the purchase.