on 24 July 2012
Eye of the Storm is the first in Higgins's Sean Dillon series, and it's a cracker. The plot revolves around the mortar-bomb attack on 10 Downing Street during the Gulf War, and is full of twists and turns and plenty of action.

I loved the action scenes and the pace is relentless, this really is a page turner.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of Wilbur Smith, Clive Cussler and James Patterson.
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2012
Thriller, taut, edge of seat stuff. Brings out the evil in you, wondering deliciously about what might have been..Thatcher, Major, the war cabinet dead. Only one problem. There's this civil service chappie called Gordon Brown who has the hots for this Russian spy like tart. Lots of rumpy pumpy. I just couldn't rid myself of horrid imaginings as I lay in bed reading....
on 8 June 2012
this is a super read i LOVED it and sincerely recomend buying it i have already read it in the past but am going to buy it simply bc i love it and it is one of those books you can read and read again. although dillon is supposed to be the villain i found rooting for him which is an amazing achievment of jack higgins since his words make the reader hope against hope that dillon will win! this makes the book very intresting and exciting. although dillon is the 'bad guy' he still has a 'good guy' attitude in that he keeps his word and expects others to keep theirs and doesnt kill innocents. this is the only book in which he is the 'bad guy' (except for the begining of the next one) and i have to repeate that i simply adored it!!!!!!!!!
on 21 June 2014
This is the first of the Sean Dillon Series.
Dillon is an ex-IRA enforcer.. the most feared in the movement, but he has become disenchanted with the IRA and becomes a gun for hire.
In this book, he is behind the plot to blow up the British government in the famous mortar attack.
Later in the series, in a twist of fate, he becomes the chief enforcer of a special undercover unit working FOR the British government, a sort of 007's, 007!
Again - later on in the series - Liam Devlin ( The Eagle Has Landed ) makes several appearances.
A cracking good read, well crafted and thoroughly believable.
on 1 June 2003
This book is excellent in every way. The story never gets boring, and you find times when you dont want to put it down.
The way Jack Higgins makes you like Sean Dillon is really good, as Sean is up to no good you still don't want anything to go wrong for him, and you find you fall in love with his character straight away.
I'd recommend this book to anyone. Brilliant.
on 29 November 2015
I'd never read a Jack Higgins novel before, but I thought I'd give him a try as he's such a well-known author and came with high recommendations. I certainly won't be reading another one. This is simple-minded, cliche-ridden drivel. How on earth is Jack Higgins so popular? The "hero" is a right-wing, psychopathic, terrorist gun-for-hire --- how could anyone find this character charismatic or sympathetic? I find the fact that there's a whole series of nineteen books featuring this horrible, little man quite astounding (and not a little depressing that there's apparently such a market for this morally-twisted rubbish). It's not as if he's even a good writer: he tries to portray Sean Dillon as a kind of criminal master-mind who meticulously plots his dastardly schemes with ingenious precision, when in fact he's more Clouseau than Reacher. We get an idea of his philosophical outlook when we learn that he's a huge fan of Margaret Thatcher and John Major ---- no namby-pamby liberal nonsense for our Sean.The characters are wooden and unsympathetic, there are no meaningful insights into the human condition and the plot-line is simplistic and totally ludicrous. This book left a nasty taste in my mouth, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to any discerning reader with an ounce of moral rectitude.
on 9 February 2015
I have most of Jack Higgins' books and would rate them from 3.5 to 5 stars. Strangely, I have never
read this book before, which is where we are introduced to Sean Dillon. Sean is an ex-IRA "enforcer"
and is now a "gun for hire". This is set around the Iraq war.

He is hired to kill ex-PM Margaret Thatcher, and failing that the present Prime Minister, John Major.
Another ex-IRA man, Martin, has special reasons for hating Sean, and is persuaded to join the British in
stopping Sean.

Sean uses London criminals and a distant relation to help in his plot to blow up 10 Downing Street - and he
doesn't take prisoners who get in his way!

In later books Sean changes sides and actually works to protect the Prime Minister. He comes across as a
much nicer character than in this book, his first outing. Here I found my sympathies more with Martin and the
team trying to stop Sean.

If you didn't enjoy this book, I wouldn't let it stop you from reading Jack Higgins' other stories, especially those
set in WW2, and those with a different set of characters to Sean, Ferguson, and the IRA.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I just reread a jack higgins after many years and enjoyed it so much that I have started from the beginning of the sean dillon series. I love the team of characters that higgins has put together and although there are patterns through the series the stories and action are so good that you can forgive the author for it. As with most of them there is a lot of mention and history of the Irish "troubles" but further into the series there is also a link with our american friends at the highest level so scope for story telling is endless really. Dillon is an ex IRA enforcer who now works for a british government secret team consisting of him and his senior civil servant boss and a seconded from special branch female police officer. and I shall say no more than that as I am now off to read number 8 in the series!!!
on 30 September 2013
This book does not have the most complex plot, but I found it clever the way the author takes a true life event and weaves a story around it. I'm not really into these type of thriller books as they get bit samey after a while, but this one was really enjoyable. The main character was a bit Jason Bourneish (although a baddy as opposed to a goody) and in some respects that may seem a bit far fetched, but for a well paced story that keeps your interest, this did the trick for me and I would recommend it.

I remember many years ago reading a couple of books by Jack Higgins under another name "James Graham" (The wrath of God and the Khufra Run), and I enjoyed them too. A good author who writes a well measured and well paced novel.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 April 2014
Many modern authors could learn a lot from Jack Higgins..
This is a good Frederick Forsyth type of tale, well written, fast paced and pretty credible. Will be downloading more from Mr Higgins.