on 23 October 2010
A brilliant, funny,story for the car/at home/anywhere which is genuinely entertaining for adults as well as kids (any age above 3/4). I'd always enjoyed this story of Barney discovering a cave-boy living in the local rubbish dump but hearing it re-told by Tony Robinson made me love it even more. I've not always been a fan of Tony Robinson but he tells this so well with excellent impersonations - distracted Granny, local scruffs the Snarget brothers and the posh lady who holds a party for all the local children only to discover an escaped leopard from the circus has joined the party.
The final chapter is really affecting - Barney and his sister find themselves transported back to Stig's time. It's more mysterious and atmospheric but still rivetting.
We've listened to this as a family over and over again from when the children were 3/4 or so upwards. It's still making us smile now they're 7,10 and 12 and even when they fall asleep in the back of the car we let the CD play on as it's just so good. Suitable for boys and girls Enjoy.Stig of the Dump (Puffin Audiobooks)
on 9 February 2010
This was a great book that both my children really enjoyed, boy 6, girl 8. Bedtime is the usual nightmare!! in my house but I have to admit that I have taken to read them both the same book at the same time by sitting outside on the landing and the story was so fascinating that I would say "come on bed time and let see was Stig is up to" and they would both run up the stairs to continue the adventure. I worried maybe it might be more boy than girl but to be honest it suitable for any child with an imagination. Well written and easy to read and understand it had everything a child needs in it, adventure, new friend, mischief, silly and funny all rolled into one. If you are reading this to your children, you will enjoy it too.

PS reading on the landing is a great idea they both love the stories and it means that you routine is done in half the time. I hear the kids chatting about the book during the day too, which is novel for mine two.
on 20 June 2004
I have just sent this book as a present to my nephew. I remember spending hours reading it on summers days in my bedroom as a child. This totally captivated my imagination then and I can't think of many books that made more impact. The story has been described to death but the depth of imagination involved and the historic significance can't be overlooked. Loved it!
on 1 August 2010
This is the fantastically imaginative story of a boy who finds and befriends a cave-boy who is living in amonst the rubbish in a woodland dump. I read this with my 6 year old tom-boy daughter and she absolutely loved it. It's really well paced and has enough adventure and mystery to keep the pages turning and it had her begging for 'just one more page!'. Often the books I remember from my childhood seem dated and odd to the current generation but this book just feels timeless. It even seems on-the-ball with Stig's 're-use and recycle' lifestyle! I'd recommend it to absolutley anyone.
on 18 April 2012
This book is about a boy called Barney who is staying at his granny's house, and falls down a chalk pit and comes down upon the dump and through the roof of a caveman's house or den - Stig's. Together Stig and Barney have lots of adventures including going hunting, coming face to face with a cheetah that escaped from the zoo and also adding things to Stig's den for the better.
I really enjoyed this book - it was funny, adventurous and brilliant in lots of ways. I'm 9 and a half and I really liked it and I think readers from the age of 7-11 years old (more boys than girls, but they'll like it too) will thoroughly enjoy it just as much as me.
on 3 January 2010
Dorian Cottam, age 7, writes 'Barney and Lou go for a holiday to their grandparents' house. Barney goes to the dump and meets Stig. What I liked best was when Barney helped Stig make a window and a chimney for his house. Stig is a caveman who likes to mess about in his cave. When Barney went out to see him at night, over the hill by the dump, he saw loads of cave-men and cave-women and cave-babies. I especially liked Stig's arrows and how he did drawings on the wall with pieces of chalk which he had mined out of his own wall.'
on 15 March 2012
This is an excellent book for children of 8 years +. I was familiar with it many years ago and when my grandson's teacher introduced it recently to her primary class as a 'read aloud' serialised story, I was pleased.

The underlying concept / theme of having a special, mysterious and creative friend is appealing to young people of this age and they can relate to it very well. It has helped the child a lot to take an interest in reading for its own sake (as a pleasurable and rewarding activity) and has presented him with a very real means of developing and practising independent reading skills.

The product was easily purchased on Amazon and arrived a few days after ordering. It was well worth the economical price paid and has 'paid off' almost immediately.

I would recommend it highly to any parent or guardian anxious to develop their child's literacy.

JMcH
on 2 February 2002
The recent television adaptation will have renewed interest in this book which was first published in 1963. It is a charming tale of a unique friendship. Although Barney and Stig have very different lives and speak different languages, they still learn a lot from one another. This is a timeless message for everyone. Whilst attitudes and lifestyle may have changed in some ways since the book was first published, the attitudes of children towards adventures can still be appreciated. This book is firmly set in a believeable context but also contains elements of fantasy (for example Stig himself). It is the way these fit together so well that provides much of the charm. Quite simply Barney is in need of a friend and finds his friend Stig in perhaps the most unlikely place. His families' relative lack of curiosity about Stig allows for many of the advetures Stig and Barney undertake together. Barney believes in Stig and really that is all that matters. I would recommend this book to every reader of all ages. First having been read it when I was very young and now discovering it again.
on 21 November 2013
Classic is a term that is too often bandied around but this book is just as much a modern classic as Watership Down and Tom's Midnight Garden as The Wind in the Willows, Black Beauty and the two Alice books were in their time.
Barney makes an astonishing discovery when he explores a landslip/chasm which has become a bit of a fly tipping area. Fortunately for Barney this was written before Health and Safety meant it was better for children to stay indoors on their mobile phones and computer games.
It has all the ingredients of a really good yarn as there are various separate adventures with bullies, burglars, policemen, a disbelieving sister, kindly but unknowing grandparents and a strangely moving and surreal link to the ditant past when sun worshippers and stone circles were the custom rather than sunbeds and crop circles. An absolute winner for reading aloud to one's own children or a class story to key stage two children.
on 20 October 2011
I was re-reading this after a gap of, well, let's just say a few years since childhood, and I enjoyed it just as much this time around. I defy anyone not be drawn in with a first line which reads:

'If you went too near the edge of the chalk-pit the ground would give way.'

Wonderful illustrations by Edward Ardizzone perfectly complement the exciting story. Timeless fun and adventure for children (of all ages)!