Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jul 2007 22:17:19 BDT
Mr Bojangles says:
Anyone got any thoughts?

I just noticed a post on amazon.com and a lot of the americans prefer jim dale to steven fry reading the harry potter books (they must be mad!) mainly because its the only version avaliable, but, if you had the choice, which version would you choose?

If you haven't heard jim dale read the harry potter books you can sample it at:
http://www.randomhouse.com/audio/features/harrypotter/

What do you think, which is better, I think stephen fry by a country mile.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2007 22:18:29 BDT
indeed stephen fry.... puts more heart into it

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2007 22:22:41 BDT
D. Hartland says:
Hi

Oh god, Stephen Fry, hands down.

I remember hearing Jim Dale reading Philosopher's Stone, then I heard him reading Half Bloody Prince, and Hermione had still got an 11 year old's voice.

and he'd got Draco completely wrong.

D

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2007 22:29:11 BDT
Mr Bojangles says:
I know, I always listened to stephen fry's version, but I lost one of the cd's for CoS so I downloaded a couple of chapters and it turned out to be jim dale reading it and it was just awful.
No wonder the Cd's are cheaper in the US!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2007 23:13:05 BDT
Stephen Fry every time. SF would be fab as Slughorn can't you see him"my boying" everyone and being completely pompous offering his favourites guinea fowl etc! He would be excellent!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2007 23:16:09 BDT
Mr.Underhill says:
I heard a bit of jim dale somewhere from philosophers stone, OMG horrible, haven't heard stephen fry but a lot of people say he is good so im considering getting PS to try it out, then i can stick it on my ipod.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2007 23:47:42 BDT
C.Simpson says:
ive only ever heard Jim Dale, do you have any links to sample of Stephen Fry? i dont particulary thing their is enough feeling in Jim Dales readings, though it improves with number 7, though ive only heard a tinnnnny bit of 7.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 00:07:00 BDT
Fairygreen says:
i'm from the US. i had known of stephen fry as an actor for years so when i went to buy the audio for harry potter, i ordered the UK version. when OOtP came out, i was travelling and bought the US version. it was horrible.

no offense to jim dale, but he cannot compete with stephen fry. fry captures the voices exactly as i heard them in my head. plus, i think fry 'acts' the story and dale just 'reads' it. a world of difference there!

i don't know why they used a different guy for the US version anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 01:19:07 BDT
Sarah Hearn says:
ohhhhh, okay, so i am an american and have never heard of the fry guy but jim dale is WONDERFUL!!!!!!! i just love his CDs. I think they are the best recorded books i have ever heard! whenever i am driving more than a few minutes i pop in one of his CDs or i listen on my MP3 to jim dales recordings of HP. He is wonderful. give him another chance.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 02:27:55 BDT
R. Shearer says:
I'm an american and I think there's no question that Stephen Fry does a way better job! I could hardly stand to listen to Jim Dale's version.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 02:55:26 BDT
Aisha Hamza says:
LOL!! Okay this is amazing. Most of the people I know in the US prefer Jim Dale. Love Jim Dale. I am told he even has a cult following.

Personally I love Jim Dale myself. I have heard a little of the Stephen Fry, I only have the first book as yet but am ordering the rest, but I think Jim Dale does a better job. He has done over a hundred voices for the various charecters. I find his readings better then even the movies. There are times I am watching the movies and am like, wait, wasnt this scene in this and then I realize no, I am thinking of the audio book. Jim Dale does it so well I see what is happening in my mind. My mother refuses to read the books but waits for the audio.

In fact the thoughts I have been told when I mention that Stephen Fry does it in the UK are the exact opposite, funny why did they got someone else to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 04:40:40 BDT
S. Port says:
I have just listened to jim dale's reading on the internet. All you guys who haven't listened to Fry's version I have to tell you Dale is a terrible reader. I felt sickened listing to Dale reading like an excited teenager. When Stephen Fry reads it is just magical, he truly captures the essence of the story and creates a whole new world.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 04:41:26 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Jul 2007 04:41:53 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 04:48:20 BDT
Aisha Hamza says:
Excited teenager? I have no idea where people are getting this from!?! Sickened? Jim Dale is regarded as brilliant over here. I have never heard anyone say anything against him and I work in a library so I meet a lot of people who have read them. All I get is praise about him.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 09:29:17 BDT
K. Clark says:
I must say Jim Dale is horrible!!!
I'd rather pay the extra and buy the stephen fry versions - for two reasons:
1) He puts emphasis into the book AT THE CORRECT TIMES hence allowing people to listen to it easily!!
2) These books are written and set in the uk therefore an english person should do them!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 11:50:21 BDT
Jay says:
Okay. Much prefer Stephen Fry but as a clarification Jim Dale is English. Born in Northamptonshire he was in eleven of the Carry On films and on the London stage.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 12:03:06 BDT
Mione03 says:
I love Stephen Fry's readings of all of the Harry Potter books! His interpretation of character is spot on, and he delivers the books with excellent feeling and often great comic timing! If it were up to me I would give him a role in one of the last Potter movies. I'm sure that with the right makeup he could turn his hand to any of them!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 12:42:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2007 18:04:25 BDT
Su says:
Stephen Fry - a friend gave me a copy of the Jim Dale version of Goblet - it's not that it was bad its just the characters seemed flat. I like Dale as an actor, comic or straight, but he just didn't seem to be able to get the depth of character that Fry does.

It's like the Pratchett audio - Tony Robinson reads the abridged, Nigel Planer reads the unabridged - Robinson for me everytime - Planer is flat and its extremely obvious that he doesn't get the humour.

This appears to be the same - Fry gets it - for Dale it comes across as just another payday - done as fast and flat as possible so he can get out of the studio - also if you have listened to Dale's Goblet several of the characters change voices every couple of chapters

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 14:49:31 BDT
lupin fan says:
Stephen Fry wins hands down. I see Jim Dale still how he was in the carry on films ! Dont get me wrong think he is a great actor, My mum and his mum were friends and his brother still lives in the town I do, but much prefer the life Fry puts in the story

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 16:13:40 BDT
I've just listened to the Jim Dale version on randomhouse.com IT'S TERRIBLE I have the first 6 books on audio CD and stephen fry is by far the best one to read them, he has the voices exactly right and doesn't sound wooden or like he's is only reading them for the money!!

Who is Jim Dale anyway??

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 16:16:41 BDT
Aisha Hamza says:
I am still very amazed. Everyone here speaks the direct opposite of most people in the US. I told my mother all this she was shocked and even said people must be being biased here. I don't think that but its surprising. I heard both, I like both. I prefer Jim Dale but I don't think Stephen Fry terrible. I think he did a great job too.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2007 16:22:21 BDT
S. Deal says:
Deffinitly Stephen Fry! I found Jim Dale made everyone sound transilvanian =P

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2007 22:27:13 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2007 22:33:17 BDT
Who are you?
Is that you Voldemort?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2007 09:57:35 BDT
jax says:
well of course you will love whichever version you are used to! i love jim dale's much more simply because that is what i began listening to and i am used to his over the top drama! to me stephen fry is boring, but it is all personal opinion !!! stop making it uk vs. usa, its so annoying, especially being an american in the uk !!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  49
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  24 Jul 2007
Latest post:  9 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Illustrations by Mary GrandPre. Rowling (Hardcover - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,196)