on 2 January 2011
I was really excited to get this DVD. I'm a big fan of the Step Up movies and I was excited to learn a few moves, but it turned out to be very challenging!
The pace is really face and I felt really out of my depth. I couldn't follow or keep up with the routines. They explained the moves well enough, like which foot you should be on - I kept having to pause and guess how the moves went, just by how they looked.
After trying one of the routines, I felt like giving up. I did try and do it to the end, but with lack of explanation for the moves, I wasn't doing them right and just looked a bit silly really.
The variety of dance routines look good though and they do have a good soundtrack.
This is definitely not for dancing beginners, I couldn't do it and it hasn't made me want to try again.
on 5 February 2011
I love this DVD now, but wanted to snap it in half after I tried it the first time. It is challenging - I have never taken dance classes but have had my share of clubbing, which is probably the minimum amount of dance experience you will need to do this. It took me about a week to really master the first dance and I was constantly pressing pause and rewind on my DVD to go over the steps millions of times. So you have to be patient enough for that. BUT now that I've gotten the steps down, its insanely fun (LOVE the music!) and an amazing workout. I set up a big mirror so that I could see what I was doing, and video recorded myself a few times to see where I was going wrong. I guess the great thing about it being difficult is that it forces you to keep practicing, which ultimately makes you more fit. Isn't that what fitness DVDs are supposed to do? Even after just a week (practicing about an hour each day) my clothes are looser already.
on 1 January 2011
Im a big fan of step up films but i had it on for 15 mins and found myself just starring at the screen because i couldnt keep up with the instructions they were just no good to follow and by the time you've made sense of where your feet are meant 2 b placed the whole routine is over. Arms and legs everywhere didnt make sense to me and i can dance. Il give it a few more tries but think il just buy a fitness game for the wii next time.
on 3 February 2011
I was really excited about the release of this dvd and bought it without reading the reviews written about it, which is just as well because it has been slated a bit. Personally? I absolutely love it.
Don't get me wrong - it is insanely hard. But to be honest, if you want to be able to perform dance routines like those from the film - you have to be prepared to put the work in.
People have complained that the dance instruction is difficult to follow, but there are many different options which enable you to select those that suit how you best learn things.
Personally, I found that the 'walk through' was a bit useless to me. I can't learn moves from that slow a speed. So I skipped over that and went onto the 'Step 1&2' section and then moved onto 'Step 3&4' when I was ready.
Once you've mastered the routines, you can't not work up a sweat. It is exhausting but so much fun that you don't even realise you're working out.
But on the same note, if you do not have any previous dance training, it might not be for you.
I have about a million workout dvds but I have to say that this is by far one of, if not THE, best. You manage to get your heart rate up without having to perform the same old tried and tested aerobic sequences. And the Ministry of Sound dance workouts are ok, but just weren't dance-ey enough for me. This one definately gets 5 stars from me.
on 18 January 2011
Oh dear. I consider my self a decent dancer and a very fast learner. I even have some dance experience - but this was just no help at all. Even the warm up was too hard. You find yourself approximating the moves as best you can but by the time you have approximated them the dancers are three moves ahead. As for the "slow walkthroughs of the routines" well they do slowly walk you through a complex routine once, but it gives you nowhere near the amount of time it would take a non proessional dancer to learn the routine. You just end up gaping at the screen feeling inadequate and watching the amazing dancers batter through it like they are taking a stroll. Very impressive - no use at all as a fitness DVD.

Summary - Unless you are already a professional dancer - don't buy this!!! I attempted it once, never again. It's a real de-motivator.
on 18 April 2016
I'm not new to workout DVD's especially dance ones. I thought I'd try this one as it was something a little different and I like variety. Well I wish I hadn't of bothered. I started with the warm up which itself is very fast and difficult where normally the warm up is a. Little challenging but doable. I normally pick things like this up very quickly but this made me look like I'd never exercised or danced in my life. It does only get harder as the DVD goes on. I thought the makers of this would realise that not everyone will be up to their kind of standard from the off. Only recommend this if you are already very good at Street dance.
on 4 April 2014
I chose this rating because it is just okay, I like to watch fitness DVD's to get a feel. Whilst the routines are broken down, they are very complex. I feel this is not necessary unless it is aimed at professional dancers.... It was value for money because it goes on and on. I had to turn it off in the end, not something you could do before work. Weekend only.
on 11 February 2011
I tried so hard to do this dvd as really wanted more of a dancing workout than exercise. But this was ridiculous! it was so fast and there was no way i could keep up with it! The dancers were all brilliant so it was good to watch them but no way i could follow it! Really disappointed and wont be doing it again!!!
on 18 February 2013
I was very pleased with this DVD as it offered a challenge. Having some dance experience, it is very difficult finding dvd's that aren't always beginner and therefore non-stimulating and boring. But this is great. As I'm now living in an area with no dance classes I try to find things to keep my mind and body focused and this was fun and good for that.
Recommend for people with a little background as it does keep moving along.
on 9 August 2013
This workout is more of a 'learn to dance' dvd. If you have patience- it is GREAT. I absolutely love it. Now that I know the routine, it really is a good workout.
I am not a dancer, but have a little experience being in a dance class. It took me about 2 weeks to learn one of the routines.
Recommended if you want a challenge and more of a dance experience than just an aerobic workout. (I was using Sean T's hip hop dance routine but soon got a little bored)
GREAT DVD!!