on 5 December 2010
This grinder has a ceramic mechanism and it is fully adjustable. It will grind right down to Turkish fine but the finer the grind the harder it is to use. You need big hands to get a good purchase and the crank arm is difficult to control in those circumstances. The reviews of the Bellux grinder apply equally to this grinder. Not for someone with small hands or a weak grip. Having said that it does produce a consistent and fine espresso grain. It retails for 84 in (rip-off) Ireland, which is laughable. I got mine in a local store, here in Dublin, marked down by 50%. It's value for money at that price, if you can operate it!
on 3 December 2012
This product was excellent at first, but turned out to be not very durable despite very light usage.

Although It was used only about once every 3 or 4 days, and on a moderate setting to grind beans for use in a filter coffee machine, its sliding compartment cover became detached from the spindle within less than 7 months.

Consequently, it can no longer be used to grind coffee beans properly, mainly because the loose compartment cover impedes the beans' access to the burr grinding mechanism, but also because bean chips are ejected through the opening in the compartment.

Today I have emailed Amazon UK, who fulfilled the order on behalf of Harts of Stur, for advice about what my options are regarding the return and replacement of this item, which is obviously defective, particularly bearing in mind its light usage over a comparatively short period.

Under the circumstances I am hesitant about it being replaced with one of the same, and hope that I might be able to order an alternative which might prove to be more durable.
on 21 December 2012
I bought this for my husband who loves the coffee making ritual. However this is useful only if you need a drink for one or two people. Any more and your wrist cannot handle it.

Also the product broke after 3 months ( over usage I guess)

I liked it, but do not love it. Still it does what is says on the box, and coffee grain is well grounded.
on 8 January 2012
This is a really well made grinder finished to a very high standard. The mechanism is ceramic and the adjuster gives good control of the grind. Substantially quieter than my electric one!
on 25 April 2013
I have been using this grinder daily to make espresso for several months, and the quality rivals with pro-sumer motorised grinders with 4x the price. It's fantastic value, and unless you are prepared to spend £200 on a serious electric grinder, I highly recommend this product. Note that the adjustment nut has 5 notches, so you can adjust it half-steps by reversing the orientation of the spindle locking bit (turn it 180 degrees).
on 10 June 2015
This is difficult to use. You really have to put a lot of effort into grinding the beans (as expected) but it's difficult to get a firm grip on the base (which you have to hold while you turn the handle). It takes about 5 minutes of effort to grind enough coffee for a large cup. The results are excellent, but it requires a lot of effort.
on 11 September 2013
I bought this grinder about 18 months ago (nearly £10 cheaper then) and has been used just about daily. Adjusts just right for Bialetti Moka Express. A bit of exercise before a fine coffee seems a good balance.
If I was replacing it, would probably go for a Porlex or Hario given current pricing (£44).
on 18 October 2014
It's nice but very hard work & not very a fine grind. When I do use it I use a cordless drill to turn it!
I bought an electric burr grinder ! My cafe barister friend says pay as much for the grinder as the coffee machine - I think they may be right!