on 13 December 2012
This is a short but sweet Christmas read focussing on two families that end up booked into the same cottage for Christmas. It's classic Katie Fforde with lovely characters and a hint of romance. The story takes place at Christmas with lots of traditional Christmas elements to it and it definitely left me with a warm festive glow. I really hope Katie decides to revisit these characters in a future full length novel as I 'd love to know more about them and what happens next!
on 6 December 2012
I have all Katie Fforde's books and have read them all several times. Her books are warm, funny, and flow beautifully, so when I saw this short story was available to download, I had to have it. I'm not going to write about the plot but its a real treat - particularly for fans of Katie or Christmas stories.

For me there's only one downside. I would far, far rather pay £2.99 for a physical book (even though it would only be tiny), than 84p for a download.
on 19 December 2012
This is a short little chirstmas story and I loved it. The characters are lovely and the christmas scene is set lovely with a bit of romance thrown in. I do hope that Katie does a follow up book on the two characters as it would be nice to see how things pan out between them.
on 5 January 2013
I thought the story was ok, but not one of Katie's best, and I'm a big fan. The printing/editing was bad. When turning pages, there seemed to be jumps in some sentences and others where bits were repeated, which I found a bit off putting.
on 8 February 2013
I enjoyed reading this immensely. I liked the characters and the story was soft and easy to read. The situation could have been impossible but the characters made it work out well.
on 20 January 2013
Staying Away at Christmas is a typical Katie Fforde book. Almost like the first chapter of a full length book. Very enjoyable more s o than other short stories by similar authors.
on 12 December 2013
This eBook short is about two families, Miranda's and Anthony's. Both single parent families with their parents trying to give their kids the perfect Christmas. But when both families turn out to have rented the same cottage for the holiday season the perfect Christmas they had both envisaged seems further from perfect than what they would have had, had they stayed at home.

This is an endearing short story where the tale of two families will warm your heart as they all embrace the new way to celebrate Christmas. Miranda, single mum and her two daughters are off to the cottage with a car stuffed with food and gifts. Anthony and his son and daughter, are off to the cottage to get out from the scrutiny and overbearing kindness of Anthony's sister.

I instantly liked Miranda, but wasn't so sure about Anthony. I kind of felt like he looked down on Miranda and was a bit of an arrogant, I'm Mr Right-All-The-Time sod at the start. Once his heart softened a little as his children gets to know Miranda's he seems to lose some of his hard exterior.

This is a lovely little Christmas story that will fill you with the Christmassy warm,fuzzy familial feeling just in time for the festivities!
on 17 March 2013
Thie plot was fairly predictable but for a piece of light reading it was ideal .Katie Ffloyd always provides a good read.
on 5 February 2013
you wont a great funny read then on you kindle this is a great read to have. and the quickness of the downloads are great
on 21 January 2013
I have loved most of Katie Ffordes books even her previous short story.
Unfortunately, with "Staying Away at Christmas", I found that it was more of a great idea to a book that could be really good. It felt like a whole book had been written and then 80% of the contents had been removed leaving the reader with a short story that didn't seem complete.

This book did not make me instantly think that it was Katie Fforde who had written it, I felt it could have been any author who had written it. I also found the story a tat too predictable which was a shame.

On the positive side I did find that the feeling of Christmas was shining through, you could almost see the decorated cottage and hear the people singing as they where leaving the Pub.

A bit more editing and I think it would be a lovely read.

Would I recommend the story to a friend, not this one I'm affraid. However, many of her other books I certainly would recommend.