on 3 December 2006
I recently took up knitting after a new wool shop opened in town. This book was recommended to me, and I would like to pass that on! It lays out very clearly how to do all of the basic stitches and some more complicated ones. After each chapter there is a short project to try. I have made a beautiful baby blanket and a cable knit cushion cover. Both turned out really well. Unlike some knitting books this one is really up to date and the projects are new and stylish. Invaluable!
on 25 February 2009
This is a great book for beginners. I brought several other knitting books to help me get started and this one is the best. There are photographs of the basic steps such as casting on which makes a big difference rather than some others which use poor drawings. It has all the things you need to help you get started with some easy projects to start you off. If you are only going to buy one book then this one in my opinion is the best.
on 21 July 2011
This is a very good book from learning to knit from scratch, although some of the very very basic procedures are a bit skimpy. Holding the yarn, needles and learning the basic knit and purl stitches is best done from youtube THEN refer to this book and start knitting. The photos are clear and plentiful and there are useful tips listed at the side of each new technique. My only gripe is that I spent hours researching which instruction book was written by an English knitter with English terminology and abbreviations. This uses all American which is REALLY annoying, especially as the publishers offices are just down the road! There are not even English comparisons. Hence 4 stars not 5.
on 2 September 2010
A good starter book on knitting with good detailed pictures and information. However, as a begginer, I expected from such a book to provide me with more information in relaiton to choosing what to buy and how to identify a good yarn/wool. Also, I cannot say that the knitting projects in the book are encouraging for me to start. I felt they are mostly not as simple as they claim to be.
on 16 March 2013
excellant book for someone starting out opens a whole new adventure to lots of projects my daughter is on the way to greater knitting
on 18 April 2016