From the Back Cover
The user-friendly guide to mastering StarOffice Office Suite and OpenOffice.org.
- The user-friendly, task-based guide to StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite and OpenOffice.org 1.0
- For Windows, Linux, and Solaris OE platforms
- Covers Writer, Web, Calc, Impress, Draw, databases and formulas, and more
Imagine an inexpensive office productivity suite that's powerful and easy to use, and includes great extras like a drawing program and database connectivity. StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite and the open source equivalent OpenOffice.org 1.0 deliver all of this and outstanding Microsoft Office compatibility at an amazing low price for millions of Linux, Windows, and Solaris Operating Environment users.
Learn StarOffice for the first time, or get to know the great new features in the latest release, with StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite Companion, the comprehensive, insider's guide straight from Sun Microsystems, developer of StarOffice Office Suite.
StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite Companion also incorporates solutions to questions from hundreds of new and expert StarOffice Office Suite and OpenOffice.org users, making this the most practical, task-based book around. It delivers clear, step-by-step instructions, focusing on what you need to do to get your job done.
StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite is a Sun ONE Software Offering.
You'll find comprehensive coverage of all of the following and more:
- Great information across applications: Conversion to and from Microsoft file formats, as well as opening nearly 200 other file formats.
- Migration from StarOffice 5.2, and what's new in StarOffice 6.0 and OpenOffice.org 1.0.
- Tips on using OpenOffice.org, the open source version of StarOffice, and the minor details in which it differs from StarOffice.
- Answers to hundreds of frequently asked questions, including how to print spreadsheet headings on multiple pages, automatically converting from and saving to Microsoft formats, and migration tips.
- Quick Start tutorials that teach you the key features of each application, plus procedures on customizing StarOffice to make using it simple and productive.
- Comprehensive coverage of each application:
- StarOffice Writer―Editing, formatting, mail merge, printing to postscript and PDF, long documents, version control, comparing documents.
- StarOffice Web―Creating Web pages with the AutoPilot, hotlinks, viewing and editing source. animated GIFs, and marquees.
- StarOffice Calc―Formatting, everything about data entry and calculations in spreadsheets, including the function AutoPilot, scenarios and goal seek, exporting to HTML and inserting spreadsheets in other documents.
- StarOffice Impress―Creating, designing, and delivering presentations, including custom presentations and animation.
- StarOffice Draw and image editing features―Using the vast array of drawing tools, including 3D, distorting and manipulating shapes and text, editing raster graphics like photos, exporting to formats like GIF, EPS, and SVG.
- Connecting to data sources―Bringing in the data from spreadsheets or databases, plus using the Web form AutoPilot.
Want to learn how to get things done with StarOffice? Here's the practical, direct, expert guide you've been searching for: StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite Companion.
About the Author
Solveig Haugland has been writing, editing, and training for eleven years, helping newbies and techies alike learn about Java technology, accounting software, WebLogic, and, of course, StarOffice Office Suite. She's currently a documentation and training consultant for www.lastturtle.com
Floyd Jones has nine years of experience creating documentation and training materials for a wide range of software products, including accounting software, golf course management, and WebLogic. He currently does project management and documentation for WebLogic and StarOffice Office Suite.