on 17 January 2011
I hope this is helpful, i bought this and tried to connect it with my mac book pro to my Dell 27 Ultra-sharp, at first it didn't work, so for a few days i thought it was just not up to it, so contacted StarTech support, never done this before especially for a 'cable', they told me to turn the laptop to lower resolution and bang. it worked. no i got it running at 2560 x 1440.. everything is super sharp.

awsome.

cheers
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2012
A must have for anyone wanting to drive a (non-Apple) high resolution display with a Mac. I recently upgraded my old monitor to a Dell U2711 and was disappointed to find that my 2011 Mac Mini (Sandy Bridge i5 with Intel HD 3000 graphics) wasn't able to push past 1080p. I tried various adapters and cables and thought that I would have to fork out £70 for the dual-link DVI adapter Apple sells. Thankfully, someone pointed me in the direction of this cable first.

It works a charm, no issues whatsoever. My Mini picked up that there were a few resolution options now available above 1920x1080 including the full 2560x1440 which made everything pin sharp (I was also pleased to find that my Mini didn't struggle driving such a high res monitor)

It also shipped out earlier then expected which was a plus and arrived the day after I got the dispatch email.
on 8 April 2011
So far working well. I have a new macbookpro 15" Thunderbolt version and I've connected this to my NEC PA271W monitor I'm getting the Highest possible resolution not sure about full colour range as yet and I can't seem to get the mbp to work with the lid shut, but will no doubt use the dual screens anyhow.
Will update if any problems occur.
on 24 May 2012
I took a punt on buying a Dell U2711 and simply crossed fingers that this cable would do the trick and give me the monitors' full resolution of 2560x1440 with my late 2011 Macbook Air.

Suffice to say it does the job.
on 29 March 2011
The cable is not well shielded from interference. If phone is placed near the cable, 2G GSM signal sometimes causes screen to flicker or temporarily disconnect.

Other than that it's OK, supports 2560x1600 from Thunderbolt MacBook.
on 3 August 2011
Bought this to connect my 2010 MacBook Pro to a new 27" Dell monitor. Worked perfectly out of the box and unlike MDP->HDMI adapters allows me to use the full resolution of the monitor.
on 18 November 2014
Bit of a mixed review here if you can call it that.

As of mid November 2014, 6 weeks after buying the cable, I still can't get it to work. I have a Dell U2410 and a dual booted MBP 17" from mid 2010. I got this so my bother could link his 360 to the monitor via HDMI and I could keep my Mac connected via display port, rather than the Mini-display port to HDMI I was currently using.

Usually this kind of thing is plug and play. So I was very surprised when my Dell reported no input on the display port line. I switched back to the HDMI to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid but when that worked and the new cable didn't I was stumped. I tried switching OS, updating drivers and forcing the mac to turn off the GPU and make it use its on board graphics to see if there was some kind of input issue. Nothing worked.

However I haven't given up for a couple of reasons. I have never used the Dells display port in before and have no reason to believe it actually works. The mini-display out on my mac is also damaged, dropping out the green pixels if the angle is wrong with both my long and short HDMI cables. It doesn't look good but until I can confirm what is broken and what isn't I can't slag the cable off. It arrived promptly, was amply packaged and was so cheap it would cost more for me to send it back than keep it, so it could have been a lot worse.
on 11 July 2011
I bought this so I could use my IBM laptop T410 with my 2010 27" Imac, in Target Mode.

I had bought many cables previous to this, for my old IBM laptop, that did not work. You need to check carefully if the video card on the computer you are plugging into the IMac supports the IMac screen.

The thing to understand is that the Mini Display Port on a Mac is proprietary, and native only to the Mac, though Apple allow others to use it Royalty free. Mini Display Port is just a smaller version of "Display Port".

As I had a Display Port on my IBM 410, all I needed was this lead. It works very well.

Using an Imac in Target Mode, is filled with minefields. Do your research first. There isn't a lot of information out there currently.

What I have discovered subsequently is: If the Laptop you are plugging into only has a serial port for screen output, you are unlikely to be able use an Imac as an extra screen for your Laptop. I've tried all types of adapters at over inflated prices. Finally I got a new Laptop, and found this lead - I got lucky.
on 4 September 2015
Simply brilliant. It's got a connector thing at each end which is perfectly shaped to fit the receptor holes - one in the computer and one in the video screen - even though those two holes are different shapes. Between these two connectors, there's a long thin black tube ... but the clever thing is that it's flexible so you can twist it round corners and get the screen in the right position.
on 18 February 2013
In the short-term this did exactly as expected - however after a few months (and sadly after the returns period had elapsed) the connectivity seemed to fall short, requiring subtle wiggling every time I connected my MacBook Air to the external display. Seems to be more reliable when the MacBook Air is kept horizontal but when vertical barely works.

Disappointing cable.