on 5 February 2008
I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 530s PC, running Windows Vista Home Premium and wanted to capture video from my Sony DCRHC18e camcorder. Initially the computer did not recognise the camera when connected via a USB port and after much investigation i discovered that i would need to use a FireWire connection.I purchased this low profile card, as my computer case is slim and it arrived very quickly and worked as soon as i had plugged it in. I am very pleased that i can now capture video using this card. The details didn't say that it was specifically designed for Windows Vista, but it works perfectly with it.
on 3 March 2008
I needed a low-profile firewire card for my Dell Dimension C521 PC, which has no firewire port, in order to upload videos from my Canon camcorder to the PC. Only one slot on the PC would accommodate it, so I had to remove an old unused dial-up modem card from that slot. Do make sure to fully uninstall the any card that's already there - I didn't do so first time round, which caused problems, but now the StarTech card works fine. I would recommend the product, particularly in view of the fact that StarTech gave me prompt & personal e-mail support in sorting out the problems caused by failing to uninstall the old modem card beforehand.
on 29 October 2008
I recently purchased a new computer which had a Firewire port at the front and so I automatically assumed it would have the hardware required. I was wrong and was in need of a fireware card to capture video from my Mini-DV JVC camcorder.

After checking various sites and finally deciding on this card, I was not disappointed!!

I physically installed the card into my pc, put the case back together and switched the pc on. Straight away, the card was recognised and drivers from windows were automatically installed. It was ready to use in under a minute!! Very impressed!

I am running XP and my camcorder is a JVC GR-D340EK Mini-DV for those that have similar specs.

Would highly recommend this card for ease of use to any major techno-phobes like me!!!
on 8 February 2009
As with a previous reviewer I needed a Low Profile Firewire card for my slimline Dell 530s in order to connect my camcorder.

This card is perfect...here's why:

Not only is this card dirt cheap, but it came the next day and within 10 minutes of its arrival I was already transferring video.

The card itself is exactly as advertised, 2 Port (plus 1 internal) Firewire. It comes with a 6 Pin (Male) to 4 Pin (Male) Firewire cable; perfect if you need to convert from DV to Firewire.

It is 100% compatible with Windows Vista, so NO problems at all.

This little jem also comes with Ulead's Video Editor, so for anyone wanting to get their video editing off to a quick start, you couldn't get better than this.
on 4 February 2009
I am running this on Windows Vista 64 bit where it works fantastically. Vista detected it and installed the drivers automatically after I connected it and it worked right away. I have not tried to use the supplied software though so I cannot comment on that.
on 22 June 2010
I had simple needs for this card as I already had the software and was jsut missing the firewire connection to my PC. The card was easy to fit (it comes already attached to a standard sized fixing plate which you need to swap for the low-profile fixing plate (included) before you can pop it into your computer). Otherwise it was all very straight forward. Put it in, switched it on and it all worked just fine.

I have only used it once to date, and I haven't used the software, (so have held back a star for that reason alone)but for the price, I'd imagine that it isn't any better than whatever OEM software came on your computer. I see no reason not to buy this product if you're looking to add a firewire connection to your low profile computer
on 30 October 2009
Purchased to enable a firewire camera to interface with an Epia mini ITX (small form factor computer). Installed with no problems at all on Windows XP (SP3). On boot-up the system recognized the card immediately and after installing the Firewire camera drivers, I was up and running- it really couldn't have been easier.

It works without any problems, though users should bear in mind that the internal 6pin port cannot be used if the external 6pin is being used. You can however use the either of the 6pin ports and the mini 4pin port at the same time. Unlikely to be an issue for the majority of users, especially since you should get 6-to-4pin firewire cable in the box, but worth bearing in mind.
on 2 November 2014
Works fine on a Win 8 desktop. I wanted to use a 4-channel firewire audio interface box and this card gave the connection.
A big problem with firefox software on all my computers, XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 is that it wrecks the computer stand-by operation (when firewire is activated in device manager) such that there is no longer any normal stand-by possible, just a complete crash, needing a reboot. Not sure if this is the device's control panel or its drivers. Thus, the only way to operate is to set the Windows stand-by wait to several hours such that it basically never happens. Hot unplugging firewire has a similar effect. At night Windows has to be shut down completely then it reboots OK. This is a generic problem, not confined to any particular card.
As firewire is getting a bit long in the tooth I'll probably stay with USB interfaces in future for audio as these cards are much more stable and can be hot plugged without screwing up the computer software.
on 17 February 2012
Some of these dont support 64 bit but this one works okey. easy instilation but minor thing my PC slot didnt have any screw to secure the PCI. you need one tiny screw, not sure if shuld cme with PCI or PC supposes to have one for each slot at the back. Any how item is good.
on 23 March 2015
Like others who have reviewed this item, I'm a novice when it comes to opening up a PC and installing PCI cards etc. However with my old Dell Dimension 9200 running Windows Vista, this really could not have been any easier and I wish I had done this years ago. It was a simple two minute job, and the great thing about this particular FireWire Adapter Card & Port is that it can be used in bothe Low Profile and Standard brackets for expansion ports and comes with a FireWire cable included. Immediate recogniton with Windows Vista and it was no time before I had connected up my old Panasonic MiniDV camcorder to capture memories recorded from years ago. I've had loads of fun since installing this bit of kit, finally engaging in a spot of video editing & DVD making. Excellent product - exactly as advertised.

See one answered question