VINE VOICEon 8 January 2012
THE STORY:
Set before 'The Old Republic' computer game, during the uneasy peace between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic, this book tells the story of the discovery of a deadly new droid technology. At first agents of the Sith, the Republic and the Jedi all vie for possession of the technology but soon they realise that they must form an unprecedented alliance in order to end the threat it poses to the entire galaxy.

WHAT'S GOOD:
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, having feared that it would be little more than an advert for 'The Old Republic' MMO and having particularly bad memories of Star Wars' other MMO tie-in novel (the dreadful 'Galaxies: Ruins Of Dantooine'). Instead we're given an insight into the state of the galaxy through the actions of a group of indivduals who find themselves adrift in it; a Jedi Padawan struggling to become a Knight, a disenfranchised former Special Ops trooper, a Sith apprentice out to prove herself and an Imperial spy with increasingly conflicted loyalties. Thrown into the mix are two very different underworld characters, the ruthless Mandalorian bounty hunter Dao Stryver and the mysterious smuggler captain Jet Nebula (yes, the name is ridiculous but that is directly addressed in the book). My favourite part of the book was the eponymous fatal alliance on Sebaddon. In particular it was great to see the Jedi Padawan being forced to work alongside and learn to appreciate the power of Sith Lord Darth Chratis, whilst the Sith apprentice finds herself suitably impressed by fighting alongside Satele Shan, Grand Master of the Jedi Order. In the end, despite my initial cynicism, this book succeeded in not only telling an enjoyable story but also leaving me hungry for the world of 'The Old Republic' game.

WHAT'S BAD:
The plot of this book is more than a little contrived, with vast leaps of logic which leave gaping plot holes in their wake. In fact, the plot is treated like nothing more than an unfortunate necessity in order to bring about the alliance and set-piece battle at Sebaddon. Also, although it did work on me, the fact that this book is essentially marketing material for the TOR computer game is all-too apparent. In fact, the eight main characters presented in the Dramatis Personae directly represent the eight classes of character available to play as in the game. Worse than this, is the cringe-worthy summing-up between Stryver and Nebula in the epilogue which pretty much reads as a 'We need YOU to be a HERO' game advert.
on 17 September 2010
I am not usually a Star Wars novel reader. I have read the novelizations of all six movies, but never moved into the expanded universe. I found this to be a perfect place to start. None of the characters are familiar - being set some 3000 years before "A New Hope" - but all are full of personality and Sean Williams does a fantastic job at keeping the reader gripped and wanting to know what happens next. I have never been a Sci-Fi reader, more of a thriller in the shape of Rollins, Child, Grisham and Patterson, but this has changed my view on the genre, and I have pre-ordered "Deceived", in the same series, and I'm really looking forward to it! I highly recommend this to anyone with the slightest interest in action or adventure as well as the obvious Sci-Fi/Star Wars fans.
on 15 July 2014
Didn't know what to expect as I'm a massive Star Wars fan and this was my first time giving the Old Republic a try and it didn't disappoint, the characters grow on you quick and you soon recognize the similarities of the universe you know and appreciate the new timeline, I really enjoy the book it moves at a good pace and it is a great introduction to the franchise.
on 6 June 2011
Its a nice book to read while waiting for SWTOR.
It isn't the best star wars book out there, but I've read worse, and at least it talks about people/places we may see in the game (some of them we will for sure).
I didn't quite like the robot/android stuff because for some reason it didn't quite feel star wars.... I did like a lot of classes we will play were portraid by the book characters.
We had the trooper, Jedi, Sith, Smuggler, Imperial Agent... Even a droid companion.
All of them are in the book, and it was a nice way to see different takes on the same situation from all this characters.
In the end I give this book a 3 out of 5 and recommend it to anyone crazy for star wars and waiting for SWTOR.
For anyone not into the game, the book isn't going to be as appealing, and if that is the case you might want to pass this up.
on 1 August 2014
Having read the Darth Bane Rule of Two series I was adamant that I would not find any Star Wars EU book that was better. And I have not yet but this does come very close. It has a good start, then a boring middle and then an unexpended end. I think that the middle could do with some improvement but it is generally a good book.
on 9 January 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the longer-than-most Star Wars book, 'Fatal Alliance'. Being a player of The Old Republic enriched this experience, as I got to understand some of the characters a little better. The most prominent and interesting feature of this novel, in my opinion, is that it'll most likely make the reader see the Jedi and Sith in a different light, in terms of their relationship with one another.

Some fantastic characters are introduced in this novel like the Padawan Shigar and the terrifying Darth Chratis, but there are some old favourites like Satele Shan, too.
on 8 December 2011
I think the best way to describe this book is as follows: Te egy idióta, ha megpróbálta lefordítani ezt.

Did you understand a word of that? No me neither and therein lies the problem with this book. It makes no sense whatsoever. I just couldn't work out what was happening. Every time I turned the page it felt like I was starting a completely new book. We are introduced to lots of bland characters at the beginning and I never managed to work out who anyone was. Their names just didn't stick in my head and none of them had much depth. The writing was rather laborious and the plot was difficult to follow and rather silly too.

I know this is a tie-in novel to a computer game but giving the force-sensitive characters powers like force shields is ridiculous. The concept of droids that appear to contain superior technology to anything seen 3000 years later was also hard to take seriously.

Also, like with all these new books set thousands of years before the films, I find the lack of technological and social development astonishing. I mean according to this book, the only difference in 3000 years appears to be the addition of the word "Nal" to the planet Hutta...

It is a shame because I quite enjoyed Sean Williams' similarly computer game based book "The Force Unleashed" so this was rather disappointing.

So now to the good points about this book: The end.
on 14 September 2010
I wasn't really looking forward to this book - Sean Williams' last video game tie-in (The Force Unleashed) was pretty unremarkable and I'm a little sceptical about the whole TOR era. A few chapters in and it wasn't looking good: we're rapidly introduced to a set of new characters with bafflingly similar names (Shygo, Satele Shan, Stryver, Stantorrs) and I was having a difficult time getting interested in them or the plot.

However, once the characters are thrown together they quickly become a likeable bunch. They soon find themselves in a classic Star Wars setup of mismatched adventurers on a smuggling freighter (complete with eccentric droid), albeit in a way that is perhaps a little too similar to the 'fatal alliance' seen in recent Fate of the Jedi books. There are still a few niggles - the battles are a little drawn-out and told from too many perspectives, particularly the battle in a Hutt palace in which Williams repeatedly shows the same time period from seven different perspectives.

I enjoyed this book, but I think it still might be one for the completists and TOR fans. Otherwise, wait for the paperback.
on 10 May 2015
I have never played the old republic games but took great interest and watched videos on youtube. I bought this book and then googled some of the characters names, just to get pictures and a quick backstory. I have to say its one of the best sw books I have read. awesome characters great enemies gripping story from start to finish. it was action right from the start and never stopped. exactly how sw eu books should be. the droids ( hexes) are the stuff of nightmares and at one point I thought theres no point in attempting to fight these anymore. but...... MUST READ
on 8 May 2016
The concept itself is good; Sith/Jedi, Empire/Republic banding together to fight a common foe. Unfortunately that's pretty much where the compliments end, as in blurring the lines between good and evil what the author has actually accomplished is a chain of undistinguishable characters, each more forgettable than the last. Combat scenes are well written and at times even captivating, but at the core of it I didn't care who lived or died - which made for difficult reading.

The second novel in The Old Republic series has no bearing on the first and is far superior, so my advice would be to simply skip this one. But hey, if you've got time and money on your side, dive into Fatal Alliance and see for yourself.