Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 September 2011
When reflecting of the Star Wars franchise, age is something that will rarely hold a fan back from making a purchase of the official goods. Heck, when I got my first 'X-Wing Fighter' at the age of 8, my dad played with it more than me, although I recently re-discovered the toy and it now takes pride of place on MY shelf. So it should be a delight that Mr Lucas (or his team of money makers) one day decided to make a 'torch' from the widely recognised Lightsaber weapon that Jedi's use in the Star Wars universe. Although if you believe in the contradictions of the prequel films, then any Joe Bloggs can just pick up a lightsaber and have an endless fight!

It is what it is - an oversized torch that, as far as we can tell, resembles a Lightsaber 'hilt' from Star Wars: Revenge of The Sith. Comparing it to Anakin's actual weapon in the film, this product is a touch longer which, I'm guessing, is to accommodate all hand sizes and to make the product nice and easy to pick up for younger fans (particularly as the construction is fairly basic). I can't give an accurate measurement because my Jedi measuring tape is broken, and Yoda won't give me another one.

Aside from some simple detailing on various sections of the product, the only other authentic feature is that the LED's glow in a blue colour, which was of course the colour of Anakin's own lightsaber before he became a Sith. According to the films, this lightsaber was then passed down to Luke by Obi Wan (in Episode 4), who gives the young man the weapon and allows him to practically destroy his poor little home from waving it about carelessly.

Four tiny LED's are present on the top of the product and offer only, shall we say, 'reasonable' amount of lighting in the dark, which is a bit disappointing given that it requires 3 x AAA batteries to operate (and you know how it is when you can't find any AAA batteries in the house. Even all the TV remotes use AA's!). Part of this powers the sound effects though, which are basically the iconic 'Wooosh' sound when the torch is switched on - as if the lightsaber was powering up - and then a 'shooop' sound as its turned off, for the powering down. I'm surprised the product doesn't make a noise when you sway it side-to-side as this would have been the icing on the cake. Alas it's not present - George Lucas will probably edit this concept in the future.

Struggling to find a use for my 'torch' (since it does not emit the suitable amounts of light that you would expect from... drum roll... a torch...), I placed it beside my bed and just hoped that I would need the lavatory in hours to come - thus I could, "use the force" to find the water system. The only problem was that the 'Woooosh' sound effect was so loud that it woke nearly everyone up in the house, and is therefore rendered useless at night time unless Boba Fett has hunted you down.

To be honest, i'm not quite sure what the bloody hell I was expecting. Part of me got carried away and said "Tom - its a lightsaber! Just get it", but like a fallen Jedi, my own downfall was that I gave into temptation and expected an enormous amount of power that never really existed. Its just a very cheaply made 'toy' with four LED's and tinny lightsaber sound effects. I don't think it would be possible to make a 'real' lightsaber, since their would likely be an epidemic of self-inflicted wounds, such as severed arms and the occasional cut. That's a point - whose idea was it to give those 'younglings' REAL lightsabers to train with in Episode II? The PTA will surely complain.

In short, the product is ideal for imaginative and naive children, but saddos like myself will not be able to cause havoc for the neighbours afterall. Pity...

(Note: Buy from an online store, as my trip to Argos was less then fruitful. After contemplating which box to give me, the 'dude' behind the counter gave me the lightsaber with its battery-tab removed, meaning that someone had killed the batteries from the ridiculous "TRY ME!" label. My search for 3 x AAA's went on for hours because, being a man, I didn't have the sense to go out and actually buy some whilst I was at Argos)
55 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2009
Does what it says on the tin. If you have a little star wars fan, its excellent. Makes star wars noises, ie power on and power off sounds for the sabre, and casts a bluish light. Probably not interesting enough for an older fan, but for a 5-6 year old it was spot on. Great for when dad is playing star wars computer games, he can join in with his sabre and "help"
on 20 December 2013
I read the reviews on this but thought I'd get this still for my 5 year old son. When it arrived it was a cheap, plastic handle with blue LED lights for the torch. No good in the dark and just a noisy handle! Returned for a refund.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 December 2014
This was a stocking filler (an expensive one!) for our nearly 7 year old. He really wanted a light sabre, but is rather gung ho and accident prone and would probably smash the house to bits, so we got this instead until he's a bit older! It is, as other reviewers say, really excellent! At first our little boy thought it was a light sabre, but wasn't too disappointed as he absolutely loves it and it is a first rate torch, plus makes all the light saber noises. I gives a really big beam of light and is good for seeing in the dark (providing you don't mind everything looking blue as it is blue light) - better than most torches except for heavy duty flashlights and even better than some of those. It has been under his pillow ever since. Great buy.
on 2 July 2013
Really great lightsaber for people with hands that are 1/4 normal adult size or 1/2 child size.

Or you think that perhaps someone has taken a little bit too much poetic license with the description.

Item is not a replica lightsaber; this is nothing more than a novelty keyfob light.
review image review image
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 December 2015
If you want to please a Star Wars fan, it's hard to beat merchandising based on R2-D2 -and now the ultra cute BB8- or a jedi's lightsaber! This Star Wars Lightsaber torch looked awesome and the price wasn't too prohibitive, so I decided to purchase it as a Christmas present.

My first reaction, while still in the box, was one of excitement: this item really looks like a lightsaber. But the general build quality (solely plastic) and the only one actionable button made me feel rather disappointed initially... only to warm up to this product from the moment I switched it on: the sound is totally realistic (on and off) and the intensity of the torch is ok.

Realistically, the overall built quality of this product deserves a low 2 out of 5 stars.

Nevertheless, I believe that any Star Wars fans -especially the younger ones- will love this lightsaber torch almost essentially for the super cool sound the device makes. Should the design had included a bit more metal and at least another actionable button, it would have been a 5 stars for me.

I invite you to watch my full 5-minute video review of the Star Wars Lightsaber SFX Torch here on Amazon or in gorgeous 4K on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLf3CHtbmk4.
on 1 March 2015
Bought it as a present to a tough little guy and he seems to be happy with it (it's hanging on his belt weeks after he got it).
It has a a blue led light according to the scene, not sure how effectively it can be used as a torch really but fun. Gives appropriate sounds when switches on an off so mind that when you use it as a torch in the middle of the night where others are sleeping in the same room :)
on 28 June 2013
I purchased this item purely so I could have a low-cost light saber 'prop' to place on top of my 'The Jedi Path' book which is part of a display. It is a 1:1 scale replica of the saber that Anakin Skywalker uses in Episode II onwards until he loses it in Episode III (yet is marked and marketed as the lightsaber used by Obi-Wan Kenobi for some reason). This item is in fact a low-yield flashlight (torch) featuring four small blue LED's mounted in the beam emitter position, which when triggered by either a sliding switch on the hilt, or a hidden button located under a red colored strip mounted on a housing produces the noise of a saber being activated. Deactivation switches it off and produces the deactivation sound. There is no 'blade active' noise, the thrumming noise we all associate with this weapon. It is not practical as a toy, nor does it have any extendable plastic sections (to mimic the light saber blade). Batteries (which are provided) can be accessed by removing a screw and then unscrewing a section of the hilt. Manufactured by Wesco it is one of two torches that they manufacture at this time; the other being a replica of Darth Vader's lightsaber from Star Wars: A New Hope. The item is made out of hi-impact plastic, comes pre-painted and pre-formed and is generally of a very high quality. The detailing is well done and accurate to the original props.
on 19 April 2013
After reading the reviews, I was excited and bought it as a gift for my partner who always wanted a lightsabre.

I hated it, it's just a glorified led torch. Used the day it was received and forgotten about ever since
on 14 December 2013
I assumed for the price this would be a nice weighty torch but bad quality for the price. Would not recommend.