on 4 February 1999
I work in a planetarium and I am continually asked questions about telescopes and accessories, especially from people contemplating that all-important first telescope purchase. I recommend this book to visitors all the time, because it is thorough, easy to read, accessible to people at all levels of interest and expertise in astronomy, and--last but not least--rather witty. This is a terrific book. I'll never buy another telescope or accessory without it.
on 14 January 2001
This book provides an easily readable technical knowledge base for the aspiring astronomer. It simply describes the workings of most astronomical equipment and also has a section that may guide the reader towards the most suitable type of telescope for their situation and observation requirements. Quite simply, do not buy a telescope until you have read this book!
on 31 December 1998
I used the first edition to help guide me in the purchase of my telescope. The 2nd edition has kept pace with the rapid changes in amateur astronomy equipment. The strengths of the book are reviews of reflectors, eyepieces, and other "stuff". The author also provides many pearls for the novice and veteran observer. Specifics on some of the SCT's could be more detailed. However, the 2nd edition was invaluable in guiding my recent eyepiece purchaces. Highly recommeded for all amateur astronomers.
on 17 May 1997
The book is a "must have" for the serious and casual arm-chair astronomer alike. This book describes the history of astronomy equipment and design, product reviews, practical how-to projects, cleaning optics, and pointers on observering popular objects in the night sky. I own approxiamately 15-20 other astronomy books, yet this is my personal favorite. If you're considering the purchase of this book, go ahead and buy it; you won't be sorry.
on 7 May 1999
I would like to say that the book is good. It seems that some companys I will not name out of respect are mentioned more than others. I just feel that the book is written well. I did research for 6 months before I purchased my telescope if I had this book earlier my mind would have been made up way before that time. This book is well written and I enjoyed Mr. Harringtons book The Deep Sky. So before you spend tons on a telescope read this book.
on 25 January 2000
Comprehensive but readable guidance for anyone who wishes to look at the night sky but who knows nothing about telescopes
on 2 December 1998
I purchased the first addition of this book 3 years ago along with a number of other astronomy titles, as I was just getting started in the hobby. Harrington's book is useful to both the beginner and advanced amature astronomer. He provides detailed and up to date reviews of a wide variety of products available on the market today. He also provides a good deal of information that enables one to focus on the type of equipment that will best meet their needs. I recently purchased this new addition, and found it to be very useful in keeping abreast of what is new in the marketplace. Of all the astronomy books I've purchased, this along with "The Backyard Astronomer" are the most useful.
on 26 October 1998
The newly released second edition is more up to date than any other telescope book around! The author has re-examined literally hundreds of different telescopes, binoculars, and accessories, using both his own findings as well as those of readers who answered his telescope owner survey.
If you are thinking of buying a telescope or some astro-accessory, or maybe want to get more out of the equipment that you already own, this is the book for you! Even if you own a telescope, you're bound to pick up something new in this book! I learned more from reading Starware than in probably ten other books combined. And even if you own the first edition, the second edition is a MUST!
on 9 November 1998
This book was something that the amateur astronomy community needed for a long, long time. It serves as a type of "consumer's report" for us as the author explains the pros and cons of various equipment. An objective voice amid the wilderness of slick full page color ads hawking various telescopes, eyepieces, and accessories is most welcome indeed!
The experienced observer can also benefit from such things as the "handyman projects" that Harrington outlines. All in all, this book is an excellent resource from one of amateur astronomy's most respected authors.
on 31 July 1998
If you've never tried astronomy but are interested in wanting to know how to get started and what you can realistically do for your own situation, this book will definitely help you in the decision making process. It tells you about the different kinds of telescopes used and even binoculars. It also has a questionaire that is graded so as to give you an idea as to what you should probably start with, depending on your location, finances, as well as other concerns. It is a useful tool in helping you to make a wise and more informed choice.