Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 17 October 2009
Just like Beyer's previous novel in this series, Unworthy is absolutely fantastic. She has really got a grip on the characters the she is writing and their personalities and emotions and makes them far more real than any other Star Trek author.

This novel continues the story from where Full Circle left off, with Voyager and most of her crew returning as part of a fleet to the Delta Quadrant to explore and make friends. Tom is planning to resign and join his wife and daughter in hiding, while Seven has suffered a severe breakdown following the destruction of the Borg.

Beyer's new characters are as rounded and real as those we've known for years and fit in perfectly with the existing team - every one has good reason to be there, and the novel spends a good amount of time focussing on each of the characters rather than smothering us with one to the detriment of the others.

The plot is full of interesting and unexpected turns, and although one of the later twists was fairly obvious to me from early on it had its own unique sub-twist that hit me from out of the blue. The book feels like it has a good resolution even though there are a number of plot strands left hanging, and I'm really hoping that Beyer will continue to author this series.
on 20 October 2009
I have read almost all of the Voyager novels and this is by far the best. It is fast paced, easy reading, and ties up most of the loose ends while leaving room for more stories!!! and ... I totally agree with the previous very thorough review from Jimternet Jim.

... also, nothing too dark which can characterise some of the stories.

I can't wait until Beyer writes another Voyager novel.
on 29 January 2010
Well, having read this book and compared it to the 'raving' reviews left here by others I wonder if I read the same book! This book is clearly to set up a long series of novels set in the delta quadrant, but the author is so busy cleverly setting this up, and the teams personal dramas, that the biggest reason we buy the book is fogotten....the Adventure! 70% of this book is setting up the 'why go back at all' and how to get them together again, and it's all done in such a long drawn out fashion it felt like a kitchen sink drama at points. A shame as most of the Yoyager team are well fleshed, the aliens are cleverly creative and the reasons are all logical, but my god it felt like hard graft to get there as the reader. So much detail and time was afforded to the interpersonal relationships that could have been woven more effectivly within more dramatic events. I plodded on with it and the fact a big bad eight escape and suddenly there is no concern from the caracters, which I feel is a major lack of insight into what the Voyager team and Starfleet stand for as they I am sure would be far more keen to right what what went wrong; but I am sure this is a crude way of leaving something for another book. Far from brilliant, but clever in plot, if you want personal relationships to be more central than this is for you, but if you want to lose yourself in adventure that has relationships to help color and texture it then this is not for you.
on 9 February 2014
I could not put it down. Well written. Good plot. Read it. Stays to character and with realistic believable dialogue.
on 27 June 2012
As a serious fan of Voyager - yes I have it all on DVD - I was looking forwarded to re-kindleing that enjoyment by reading about what other adventures the crew got up to when they got back but then I bought this book and oh dear!

Hald the characters have gone and those that remain are so out of character to what they were like in the series as to be hard to imagine any of this happening - and how does a race like the Borg get destroyed and the perpetrators, having done this, just disappear?? All very odd

If you have not watched and loved the TV series then you might enjoy this read but have to say that the 2 do not go together.
on 5 December 2009
While 'Unworthy has an interesting plot, Beyer fails to write Voyager characters, in character. B'Elanna has become soft spoken, polite and is crying in almost every scene. Beyer can't even be bothered to get her facts right. If she had bothered to watch the show, she would know that Seven of Nine was assimilated at 6 years old, not 8.

Beyer's writing style is irritating and pretentious; she prefers to over egg the pudding with over detailed phrasings, rather than using the direct and simple approach.

There is a sabateur on board and it is obvious early on, who it is; the last third of the book does improve, but it is not enough to rescue it.
on 23 July 2013
I read this book from cover to cover in 3 sessions! I have always been a 'Trekkie' right from watching the original series with my father (too many years ago now) and thought the voyager spin off was a brilliant bit of televisual escapism. I must confess though to hoping someone would continue the saga, as I always thought it could have gone much further with the characters' personal development within the general plot, as well as wanting to discover how they would re-integrate with life back in the Alpha quadrant.

Enter Kirsten Beyer! The quality and imaginative skill of this writer is unquestioned, add to that a deep knowledge of the whole Star Trek genre and you have the base from which to create an entire new run of stories to entice and enthral fans.

Kirsten's grasp of the individual characters is excellently portrayed in every conversation and interaction they have with each other and with their surroundings. In my head, the voices of those characters I know so well, echoed accurately as I read, with every inflection and gesture precisely rendered, whilst any newcomer was described with just enough detail for me to create a picture, as every reader does, in order to make them real.

The storyline is eminently believable, displaying Kirstens' grasp of trek physics, and while being based primarily around two central characters, she doesn't ignore the rest of the crew as they come to terms with the peril In order to, eventually, overcome and carry on the adventure intact though a little wiser and older.

The book can be read as a stand alone Voyager story, and as such is excellent, but i'm certain fans will want to delve even deeper into Kirstens' brilliant imagination and read her other Voyager episodes, any one of which could or even should be made into a TV special or, in the light of recent Star Trek movie fever, a feature film where the entire series of books could be spun into a stunning slick spectacle of big screen magic!
on 8 February 2015
Fantastic story with a gripping plot that keeps you guessing throughout and keeps you wanting more, the adventure continues as USS Voyager departs earth as flag ship of the fleet once again balding going where no man has gone before!
on 6 December 2009
I am a fan of Star Trek, and this is a nice story line were Voyager go's back to it's delta quoten, with a good twist that the end.

I hope that the write will write more books, that will pick up the story lines, and expand on them
on 15 February 2013
If you like Star TRek Voyager then you'll like the book. Beyer is easy to read and the plot is easy to follow