on 27 September 2013
The second book in The Fall, the latest 24th Century Star Trek mini-series, runs for the most part concurrently with the first book, 'Revelation and Dust'. It follows Garak, Cardassian ambassador to the Federation, as he heads back to his home planet for the ceremonial signing of a treaty.

This is a very different story from the previous novel, much more about the politics and intrigue on Cardassia, and diplomacy between the various powers, whereas the the first book was much more action oriented. I found it interesting and enjoyable that the style differs so much between the two books, something that I've noticed a lot more recently in Star Trek novels than when I first started reading them in the late 90s - a welcome addition.

McCormack's novel reflects events in the real world masterfully, and has made me think more than anything else I've read for a long time, and yet as well as this she fills the tale with humour and 'easter eggs', many of which I expect I missed.

I found reading this that I wanted to pause between chapters to digest what I'd read, rather than rush ahead, although this plan went out the window as I got to the second half and couldn't stop reading. Her handle on Garak and other Cardassians is as strong as always and I've really enjoyed what she's done with them and their culture in this story.

An excellent novel, and a great continuation of the series - I look forward to the rest keeping this standard up.
on 6 January 2014
This is Book 2 in The Fall mini-series and, as other reviewers have commented, quite different from what preceded it. In a strange way though that is both its strength and its weakness- if you were expecting merely a continuation of the previous storyline then you'll be disappointed, but take a broader and slightly longer term viewpoint and it could be seen as providing another story strand that runs alongside the events in `Revelation and Dust', and which will presumably add to the eventual climax and resolution in the final book.
Set almost entirely on Cardassia Prime and with Garak as its main character, others have described it as a political thriller, which if you are looking for a two word description is probably about right. Garak is one of those characters from the TV series who was genuinely interesting and it does say a lot for Andy Robinson's portrayal of him that even now, as you read, you can just see him smiling with that hint of menace, or having a polite conversation with a potential adversary while weighing up several ways to inflict serious pain (or worse) and still escape unscathed. That said however his character has moved on, he is a little older and mellower, but still does what he does for patriotic reasons. Only his methods have changed...
There is a little interplay with Dr Bashir and with Captain Picard, and there are a few new or enlarged characters, but essentially this is a one man story. By the end he gets his rewards, even if he didn't really want them! It can be read as a stand-alone story, or see it as widening the narrative of the mini-series as a whole, even if it doesn't move it on much at this stage. That's what I did and, as such, I enjoyed it.
on 24 September 2013
Cardassia becomes Berlin in the fifties, and the overall plot thickens. Excellent characterisation and voice of familiar characters, and a decently paced political thriller cum police tale. Despite the cover, it's a Garak book, with Picard a supporting player. One of the twists is easy to see, and the occasional author addressing the reader was...bizarre. but then this is Garak and there are books behind used as framing devices.
on 9 October 2013
This was the second story in "The Fall" Mini series set during and after the events of Revelation and Dust. Despite the stunning cover, this story is mainly set around Ambassador Garak and how he and Cardassia reacts to the events of the previous novel. I don't want to say much about the plot except that it is a must read however what i will say is that I feel in the same way Voyager is best written Kirsten Beyer, DS9 by David R George III, TNG by David Mack and the original series split between Dayton Ward and Kevin Dillmore, The Cardassians Belong to Una McCormack. Not just characters but her descriptions of whats left of the planet after the events of the dominion war and everything else after. She immersed me in that world and I would love to go back there again soon.

An excellent novel of an excellent mini series so far :) Looking forward to the next book and Una's next entry which has been advertised on amazon as being out December next year .... lets hope we see more of her work in the trek universe before then Star Trek: The Next Generation: Home Again
on 15 June 2014
...than the first "Fall" book, "Revelation and Dust". I can just give this indication, which for me represents evidence of a good book: at the end of each chapter, even if you have something else to do at this time in the day, well...you can't resist reading at least the first lines of the next chapter. I found here not only characters that I like in the ST universe (Picard, Worf, Garak,...) but they are just very credible in their journey. Plus the sceanrio holds and the tension and interest, even if sometimes the tempo temporarily slows down a bit, are well maintained until the end. I liked The Crimson Shadow and can't wait readinbg the next "episode", "The Poisoned Chalice".
on 9 September 2015
One of my favorite DS9 episodes is Beneath the Pale Moonlight, and one of my Favorite Trek novels is a Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson. If you relish such works, then read 'Revelation and Dust' (book 1 in this series, which also good) so you can truly revel in Una McCormack's vivid descriptions of trial and dark events on Cardassia which seek to threaten the future of so many. Nicely paced and focused around the roles of one my favorite DS9 characters, this is a splendid development of the timeline, and has me eager to read others in this series.
on 9 October 2013
Una McCormack's Cardassia novels never disappoint; she's easily the best writer in the current Trek stable, and her love for the subject shines through. This is largely a police procedural, as the fallout from the events of "Revelation and Dust" settle. As hardliners emerge on Cardassia and in the Federation, Garak sets off in a direction that was perhaps inevitable. A must-read.
on 3 January 2014
If you are a fan of Garak, this is the book for you.
If you are not a fan of Star Trek's fav tailor, then I suggest you find a review elsewhere as this is a very Garak heavy book.

Some of the character play between he and Picard is excellent however, and you do feel this is a relationship they may one day re-explore.... in some sort of fashion.
on 29 September 2013
I have always loved the character of Garak. A.J. Robinson was the right choice. This book was pretty Damn good. However, not sure if it's a good or bad thing. But I had a sneaky suspicion about what Elim was up to, and where he was heading. That said, there were surprises for me. And I didn't see some things coming. A brilliant book. Great series so far.
on 18 October 2013
I really enjoyed this novel from start to finish. In fact it's fair to say I couldn't put it down. The events in the previous book heightened my interest in reading this one but it can be read as a standalone without you feeling as though you've missed key elements. If you're a fan of this genre then this is a must.