My 7-year-old is a star wars nut and received this light as a birthday gift. He was disappointed with it's size - note the product spec says 27" long and the lit end is about 20" - but loves it anyway. It's a little bright for a nightlight, but not bright enough to be a room light. It does turn itself off after 15 minutes, and you can turn it both on and off with the remote. The "educational" value is almost nil. The instructions include a couple paragraphs about what LEDs are and what gives them different colors. The product description about "construct a light saber" is crap. You snap in an electronics assembly, install batteries, and snap together a 2-piece shell.
In some of the other reviews (for the other colors) there are gripes about the fact this is battery powered. It is a bit annoying, but it is an LED that only runs 15 minutes at a time. A set of 3 AAA batteries should last a couple months being run every day under those conditions. The fact that it's battery powered also lets you mount it anywhere you want, and you don't have a wire dangling from it. Even so, rather than bother with batteries, I rooted through a box of old electronics in the garage and found a 4.5V AC adapter like this one 4.5 VDC 500mA AC Adapter. I chopped the plug off the end of the adapter, ran the wires through the hole in the bottom of the saber intended for securing the battery pack with a screw, and soldered the wires to the springs in the saber handle that are intended to contact the battery pack. If you do this pay close attention to the positive and negative connections. You can deduce which spring is poitive and which is negative by looking at how the battery pack would contact the springs. You don't want to hook up the power wires backwards.