Format: Hardcover|Change

on 24 July 2014
I love the art of Jessye Norman, especially her song recitals and song records, they are nothing but masterful. I have read almost every biography about opera artists that has appeared during the last 15-20 years, in English, German, Swedish and Norwegian. I have never been disappointed - until now. More than the first half of this autobiography deals only about childhood, upbringing and youth. Many names are mentioned but only about persons of little or no interest to the reader. Almost nothing of voice development or voice training, gospel singing at church aside. The last third of the 316 pages touches some of her singing and learning roles, but seldom tell us anything about the operas or songs in question or about other artists and conductors. However, everywhere the author's love of life, of her art, of God, of other people shines through in a beautiful way.There are some very good photos. A discography is missing. But - and I am very sorry to have to say this - Miss Norman's book left me very disappointed, Many biographies I do read two or three times (Crespin, Callas, Caballé, Domingo, Flagstad, Nilsson, Varnay, Modl, Hotter, Verrett, Sills, Cotrubas....) But the memoir presented here, well it will gather dust in my bookshelf.
on 23 July 2015
The story lacked depth. I felt there were parts of her life that she was holding back. The story is about her, but the way it read in my opinion was... I did this and I met this person and, and... All these things occurred, but it could have been intertwined into the fabric of her life better. It made Ms Norman sound like a show of.
on 24 August 2014
I'm very pleased with the book, its arrival and the item itself. She is one of my favorite sopranos and I was lucky because I was able to in in two concerts of hers in Granada Festival. She is unique!!!
on 2 February 2015
This is not a juicy tattle book about other singers,but a straight forward book on jessyes journey as a singer,both actual and spiritual,and tells of her faith,and her family
on 25 February 2015
An absorbing account of the dedication and sacrifices needed to become an international, black opera star in the 1970s. Honest and inspirational.
on 1 March 2016
I bought two ,one for my daughter and we both think it's a wonderful book,in fact I haven't finished it yet.its a great book on life and racial prejudice,and Jessye Norman is one amazing lady.
The best account of a professional artist I have ever read. Jessie explains the true art of singing in such a clear way. Also what a wonderful Spiritual person she is. Just great!
on 1 February 2016
Very good book, most interesting reading. Excellent for the young singing student to read. Most enjoyable.
on 19 July 2014
lovely book - some great tips for singers
on 12 September 2014
From old USA to present day by merit