Style Name: Modelling Tools|Change
Price:£3.72+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on 17 April 2013
Polymer clay tutorials on youtube led me to fimo clay. I've produced some pleasing results with it without prior experience.

I've found the gloss varnish accessory useful to improve item robustness where kids are concerned. The varnish also improves looks.

Colours rub off onto hands during use and it's necessary to keep hands clean between using different colours to avoid transferring onto each other, especially when switching to white.

Apparently tiles or glass make the best work surfaces though so far I've just used glossy magazines and tinfoil. I'd avoid working directly on wood surfaces as its hard to clean off, and its also important to have clean surfaces to avoid contaminating the colours.
on 19 November 2011
This set includes a variety of nice bright colours, good selection and the perfect size for smaller projects. I made some decorations for my Christmas cake with this set, much better than icing as I can use them again and again!
on 28 June 2013
A little bit of each colour! Great starter pack for a beginner like me! Personally I could have done with another white and black but all in all it was a good buy!
on 12 March 2012
Having been recommended this product by a European friend I had not actually used it before. The instructions on the packet were not that detailed so I slightly burnt the first group of objects that I tried to bake. The second batch were fine (15 minutes at 100 degrees Fahrenheit, still a bit damp when hot but hardens as it cools). I thought it was great and went a lot further than I thought.
on 20 February 2013
I bought this set for my 9-year-old son who was originally given a starter set for X-Mas. He loved the fact that he this time had 10 colours and was able to make lots of monsters to put onto pencils as decorations ... He was disappointed though that no varnish was in this pack, but luckily he had some left over from the starter kit. A brilliant modelling material that kept him occupied all day.
I found that you can mix quite a spectrum of colours with this set. Fimo soft is easy to shape which is great for children's use. It is not as good for doing detail as the harder Fimo Classic/professional/pupen or Super Sculpey. Each colour is individually wrapped, but it will dry out after a year or so. It can be revived if it dries out, but this requires a bit of time and effort and a bit of liquid Fimo.

Gas ovens are not great for baking polymer clay as the flame is below and the baking tray gets too hot and scorches the bottom of your creation. You can try to put the clay on something like an ceramic/stone tile (check oven safe) or piece or oven safe silicon baking tray/mat (that you will not later use for food) to prevent it scorching where it touches the baking tray. I usually use a halogen oven which gives a more accurate and even heat. I would recommend a halogen oven for baking polymer clay to avoid scorching your sculpture and minimise discolouration. If you do use a food oven, I would suggest covering the polymer clay loosely (ideally not touching) in foil to avoid residue lining your oven. It does sweat as it bakes and this condensates somewhere, better on some foil you can discard than all inside you oven. The Staedler website says you can use "ordinary household oven" with a photo of a mother and child placing a tray of fimo creations into a kitchen oven, but personally I prefer to use a non food oven or a foil covering to be safe.

I have found that the Fimo Soft tends to crack after several bakes, whilst I did not have a problem doing multiple bakes with Fimo Classic (soon to be Fimo Professional later in 2014).
review image review image review image review image review image
on 10 May 2012
this was a good selection of bright coulours, but there wasnt alot of it for the price. i found that the edges discoloured quickly if you are not watching them like a hawk when they go into the oven. and the thiner bits will need close monioring if they are not to be burned.
on 22 February 2014
I was surprised when I saw how much cheaper it was on Amazon, because usually in stores it costs around £25 - £30! I wanted to collect as many colours as possible to start earning cash on YouTube by making tutorials on how to make charms.

I think I'd recommend it to kids and adults; you can create beads for jewellery and other creative things with it!

Many shades are included in the pack, however there aren't much that you can use for skin, and if you want the Fimo Effect ones like the gradient textured ones and the translucent, then you might as well buy the full 50g blocks instead, as there is only one white translucent 25g block included.

A Tip: If you want to stick to pieces together without having to squish them, I suggest that you buy some liquid clay to use as a glue which hardens when baked, OR, mix water with clay and use that as a sticking solution. Both works well.
on 28 January 2013
Christmas present for step Grand-daughter she loved it just what she wanted. I believed shes made lots of things with it
on 5 January 2016
Good range of colours, easy to mould using tools and by hand. My children found it easy to create jewellery designs. The only problem is that in a fan oven you need to be careful of the temperature as the first lot burnt, I reduced the oven temp by 20 degrees and kept a close eye on it and since it has always come out perfectly.