Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 30 April 2001
I recently rediscovered this album after it sat in the back of my closet for a good 10 years. The music definitely holds up really well, and although my only complaint is that it sounds very much studio based, the lyrics are clever and the band was really tight for their debut. It is also amazing how many hits came off this album, while it manages to have some very clear singles and other songs that were way out there. All in all, it is refreshing to listen to something that was done out of love of music and not cynical marketing and demographic targets like most alternative music is today.
on 12 September 2010
Recalling listening to this one on vinyl when originally released, and the steep CD import pricing, it was too tempting when I found the download version. Perhaps not something I'd play every day but nice for when I'm in the mood. I was drawn to the music originally by the band member links with Zappa, and hearing it once more, the skills of those players comes through - albeit in a totally different musical environment! Talented players deliver a much more poppy/new wave sound here, but you have to remember this was the 80s, and as such it was an example for other bands to aspire to. Has been on a fair level of rotation in the car where I can indulge in this little pleasure, quite loudly (and privately!) :-)