Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Devil May Care (James Bond) forum

Spot the in-jokes...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jun 2008 08:54:29 BDT
There are loads of them! Private eye's already picked up on the sly reference to Rupert Murdoch ("I could have taken over one of your newspapers Meeester Bond, replaced the editor with one who hates England...but it would have been too slow, too slow") but I also liked the reference to Kermit coming out to Iran to discuss removing the Shah under the codename "Mr Green" and being unable to stick to the codename (It's not easy being Green.) Altogether....Groan!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 17:47:50 BDT
A pity Faulks didn't concentrate more on getting his spycraft right. Among other bad plot devices and sloppy action, he mentions SMERSH as if they were still active yet they'd merged into another pre-KGB organisation long before the period in which DMC is set. See my Amazon review.
Nobody seems to ask where the title came from!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2011 14:51:53 GMT
D. Meakin says:
I'd also noticed the goof where SMERSH has seemingly come back into being. Also, did you notice that Bond's secretary Loelia Ponsonby is back in her old job even though she left near the end of Fleming's books and was replaced by Mary Goodnight.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  18 Jun 2008
Latest post:  21 Feb 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Devil May Care (James Bond)
Devil May Care (James Bond) by Sebastian Faulks (Paperback - 28 May 2009)
3.2 out of 5 stars (192)