on 8 January 2008
I have been climbing for quite a few years and sport climbing for two or three, but still learnt so much from this book. Pete Hill has again written a book (he also wrote 'Rock Climbing') that puts over so much useful information in such a presentable package.

Things such as Z clipping, back clipping and the like are clearly explained, as are a number of ways of arranging things at the lower off point. Even things like multi-pitch climbing and abseiling are covered.

I like the way that photographs are used to illustrate skills, and not diagrams, which I often find to be complicated and confusing. There are lots of other pictures in there as well, both throughout the main text and in a sport climbing venue section at the back, and many of these pictures are superb. Somehow, it always seems to be sunny!

I would suggest that you read this book if you are starting out on sport routes or have been climbing for some time. It would also be very useful for anyone who climbs indoors, as many of the skills Pete talks about are very relevant here as well.

This is certainly a very good book and one that I highly recommend to anyone looking to 'clip a bolt'.
on 21 May 2009
This book is exactly what I needed. A very clear guide to climbing bolted routes covering, amongst more, the equipment you will need, the knots you need to know and how to clip in safely.

If you are a beginner sports climber this book will definitely help you but if you are a seasoned sports climber there is probably no reason to buy it.
on 21 January 2008
This is a very handy book, given the amount of sport climbing that goes on these days, in the UK as well as abroad. It is very easy to just go out and clip a bolt, but there is far more than this to consider, and this book covers all of those points.

It only covers technical skills and not climbing movement on rock, but there are plenty of books that cover the latter. It is with the technical side that Pete Hill excels, and this book is packed. The information is backed up with a lot of very good technical photographs, with other photos showing climbers climbing at various venues around the world.

I teach climbing in the UK and can thoroughly recommend this book as being the most useful and up to date that I have come across for this style of climbing, and I will be recommending it to my students, as well as to anyone that I know who is heading for the bolts of the UK or further afield. It's not just for beginners but for seasoned climbers as well.
on 14 May 2010
Good reference book for beginners, give plenty of advise about what kit you need as well as providing technical advice for sports climbing.
on 11 January 2015
Well written and informative.
on 29 January 2014
I was really disappointed with this, and didn't find very much of it very relevant or useful. I also have the Rockfax sport climbing book and I think it is much better