Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 December 2015
Dated now, so much has changed between the mid 1960s and today. Beirut and Iran especially but London too.

I find it hard to believe that a doctor would get up and leave his practice even with the laudable aim of destroying the heroin trade from Iran. He puts together a team to do just that. This includes a clever way of smuggling large volumes of heroin.

It all works pretty well if you suspend your disbelief.

This came as a double bill with Juggernaut by the same author, which I'll review separately. Good value!
on 12 March 2001
Although the incomparable Mr Bagley died nearly 20 years ago his work is still taut and exciting. The Spoilers is another fast-paced, incredibly well researched story. For any Bagley fans still out there, check out John Templeton Smith's work (he also wrote under plain John Smith) - Bagley was Smith's mentor in the years before he died. Smith obviously learned at least one important lesson from Bagley - research, research, research. Both authors leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of excellence.
on 24 June 2015
Classic novel with plenty of derring-do with a topical subject of drug smuggling. It was written in the late 1960s. Very taut and suspenseful.
on 9 February 2015
This was bought for my wife. She tells me she thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 2 February 2001
This is the first of Desmond Bagley's books that I have read. It is one of the best written books I have ever read and it made me read a whole host of his books. It has a fantastic structure to it and the best thing about it is that you never know what is coming next. Once you read this one you will be hooked on Desmond Bagley for life... The best book I have ever read by far. Read it!