on 9 March 2012
Soldiers who deserted from the Irish Army during WW2 to fight for the Allies against Nazi tyranny were court martialled in absentia and their names added to an odious 'blacklist' to deny them the possibility of employment after the war. Many were killed yet were later court martialled in absentia. Some children were taken from their families and placed in industrial schools in Ireland because their fathers had "deserted" them!!!!! A disgraceful story which must be told.
on 2 August 2013
A book of true stories which tells in great detail the HATRED & LOATHING fellow Irishmen were held by the then government of EIRE. These were men who fought against Nazi evil who Eamon Devalera and his cronies tried to destroy. I feel that the Government of the UK could have brought a lot more pressure to bear on the Irish state to treat these men as heroes. Thank god for Presidents McAlese and Robinson who brought the Irish Republic into the real world
on 2 February 2012
I have to say that I found this book rather disappointing: it was not quite what I had hoped for. Yes, it is well written, readable and interesting in its way; but a large chunk of the book is taken up with accounts of second world war campaigns, battles and operations: a sort of potted history of the war itself, if you like - albeit told from the personal perspective and experiences of individuals. It is more about the war itself, than about the detail of, and underlying reasoning behind, what befell those individuals and their families at the hands of their own government when they returned to Ireland. Only from Part III (the last 19% of the book) does the author really address the infamous "List", and then not in the depth and investigative detail which I had hoped for. What, for example, was going on in the always enigmatic De Valera's mind (a tallish order, I grant!), and in the minds of other Irish politicians of the day, to lead them to such an abhorrent conclusion? Do their memoirs and the archives really not allow greater detail and explanation than we have here? I feel that Mr Widders has really only scratched the surface of this story.
on 27 January 2012
This is a very emotive subject for me as my father fought for the British Army during the second world war and to some degree received the same reception back home. What, also, made me download the book was the reading of a very moving letter by a Kathy Ferguson, in the Irish Times, dated 27th Jan. 2012 that says it all and she was one of the instigator's of the author writing this book. Five star read.
on 10 December 2012
I was intrigued at first that governments could do this to people shame on them, but what a book to read
on 5 June 2011
I found Robert Widders' book to be very well written and heartfelt. I think its disgusting the way these young men were treated during the second world war considering they were fighting and sometimes DYING for our benefit. Very well written, would recommend this book to anyone.... if you haven't bought it - BUY IT!!!!!
on 3 June 2011
Loved this ebook. It was really easy to read and I found myself getting involved with the people the author is talking about. It is well written and set out in a way that draws the reader in.
on 25 December 2012
Very interesting for those of us who are interested in the 'Easter Rising' in Dublin and to see how shameful 'Dev' could be so vindictive twards very brave men who did not go along with his ideas of nationalism
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse