on 7 November 2010
A breathtaking subject, describing the last great hurrah of the LSR, but let down by over-hype and inaccuracy. It's just as easy surely to get it right, so why so much hearsay, about Campbell in particular, creeps in is beyond me. The photograph's section could have been great, but instead we are let down by the size of the images, lack of colour and inaccurate captions.

Buy it for the story it tell's but this is not the gospel. Still glad I bought it though!
on 10 December 2012
What Sam has done here, in my opinion, is give the human side into what, to my mind, is an obscure part of world achievements.
I have been interested in the LSR since I was about 10 years old, and although I'm now nearing 60,my personal interest in this fascinating subject has not waned one iota, with this book giving me a refreshed view.
The achievements of Arfons and Breedlove in the 60's really are phenomenal.
This book, with some backing, has the makings of a film script, in a similar vein to The World's Fastest Indian - human interest coupled with the actual record breaking.
on 27 May 2013
I purchased this book as I felt like learning a bit more about land speed, this is a highly detailed book with lots of details about all of the contenders for the early land speed attempts and records, there is a good selection of pictures and the style of writing is very free flowing and gives an in depth explanation and feeling of the contenders personalities. I would say it is written slightly on the bias side towards the Americans attempts or maybe all the other books I have read have been slightly on the British bias,
on 27 November 2013
This is an excellent and very atmospheric summary of a great age of record breaking, which captures the details and personal stories in a fascinating and very readable way. There is enough of a mix of the technical and anecdotal, and I would thoroughly recommend it as a perfect insight into the times. The enthusiasm and empathy of the author is evident on every page, and there are many fascinating details of the relationships involved which could fill another book.
on 27 May 2014
Excellent read. takes us back to when this was a mayor event to hold the land speed record.
Good insight to what went on in the garages and on the salt flats.
on 9 December 2010
Great history of the many US attempts during the '60s, especially the lesser-known and sometimes fatal.

Huge bias against Donald Campbell though. Although the FIA and Breedlove always recognised his record, this book is so grudging towards him it's nearly as bad as Wikipedia.
on 10 May 2011
When I was first given this book I was underwhelmed, "not another book on the Land Speed record", I thought. This one is slightly different, it focuses on the era 1960 - 1965, the rise of the Americans, the jet car and the hot rodders. I learned very little from the book yet was gripped as the narrative is enthusiastic and reminded me, a chartered engineer in a computer generated, computer tested, computer controlled, sterile era why I went into the profession; these guys were more than a little bit mad but they had fun (spelled F-U-N not HS&E). The tales of Art Arfons have taken me back to my childhood when as a 7 year old I became hooked on the speed record, in those days I was in awe of anybody strapping themselves into a car powered by a jet or rocket. Having read the book I'm in awe again but this time at a bloke who took a 1950s Lincoln front axle, a 1950s Dodge truck rear axle, strapped them to a crude chassis, slapped on a jet salvaged from a scrap heap, added an afterburner, dressed it in a weird body and then drove it to 600mph! Or what about Craig Breedlove having to build his car, literally, in the middle of the 1960s race riots? I said I didn't learn anything from it, well that's not quite true, to read an American's perspective on Donald Campbell, jolly good chap, a true Brit and all that, was refreshing, he really was a corporate dullard compared to the Yanks.

Good book, loved it!
on 22 September 2015
An excellent history of the land speed record both from a human and engineering point
on 19 January 2015
Fantastic summary of a great period in LSR history. A must read.
I