* helps develop the fundamental skills of the phonetician
* investigates the various aspects involved in the production of speech sounds
* uses data-based material to reinforce each new concept
* includes examples from a wide range of languages
* provides dozens of exercises with solutions and cross-references
* can complement existing course or textbook material.
The new edition of Speech Sounds has been revised and updated throughout and includes new examples and exercises, a new appendix giving information on career prospects; and a fully updated further reading section.