Welcome to Lavenstock, where a sad tale of crime is about to be played out before our eyes. Abigail Moon and Gil Mayo will be called on to investigate along with other members of the police, but this story isn’t a straight police procedural. In Lavenstock there is about to be some killings. It starts with an unknown man found dead in a puddle by some allotments, but before it ends there will be more deaths.

Dermot Voss has moved to the town from London, not wanting to carry on living where his wife accidentally died and has the help of his sister-in-law to assist in the move and settle the two girls he had had with his wife, into a regular routine. Almost as soon as they arrive in the town though there is a murder, and the police trying to identify the body and the motive for the killing. But soon there is another murder, this time of a schoolgirl, but could these be connected, or is the latter person a victim of a killer that is part of an ongoing investigation elsewhere in the general area?

With two killings and the police with real no leads in both cases Mayo, with Moon and his team seem to be stuck, and things are not being helped by some potential witnesses not being totally truthful. With some red herrings along the way and false leads gradually the story unravels for the police, although in some parts I would expect most readers will already be ahead of the police in their conclusions.

This is a good solid tale that is worth reading, but in places I did feel that we were perhaps given too much information on other details that slowed the story down a tad. I don’t know if this is the first in this series or a later story but I will admit I did enjoy a good read here with my feet up on a lazy Sunday.
A body is found face down in a puddle on an allotment in the village of Lavenstock. The circumstances of the death are such that the police have to treat it as a possible murder. There is nothing to identify the man: just some car keys and Belgian Francs in his pocket. (The novel was published in 1998, before the Euro came in.)

Detective Inspector Abigail Moon carries out an initial investigation, but there is a frustrating lack of evidence, and none of the nearby residents can provide any useful information.

Then the community is traumatised by a second death, and Superintendent Gil Mayo is brought in. Could one of the villagers be responsible for two brutal murders? Or could there by two murderers at large in this quiet village?

A better than average detective story.
review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 January 2015
A man is found murdered on an allotment but who he is, how he got there and what happened initially baffle the police but this investigation goes on the back burner when the local papergirl is killed. How these crimes are linked and why makes A Species Of Revenge a real page turner with suspects initially thin on the ground and red herrings abounding. I like Ms Eccles writing as I think she writes clever, intelligent novels that have a slightly old fashioned feel - no grittiness or bad language, easy on the forensic technicalities and motive orientated. This is not the best in the series but it is an easy page turner.
on 31 December 2014
This is an okay read, in fact it is a good short story that simply should never have benn dragged on to form a book. It is a simple unexciting tale awash with descriptions of every Patti, Gil and Dermot, every building, tree,flower and bush receives the too much treatment. Certainly no surprises as it jumps suddenly to an obvious dull conclusion. Well written of that there is no doubt but as a novelist plenty.
on 20 June 2014
I've read other books by Marjorie Eccles which I liked, but didn't love. This one was the same. An ok read, but just didn't grab my attention. it was as though a chapter or a page was missing ...or I couldn't concentrate sufficiently to remember. Likely just me; we all can't like everything we read.
on 30 September 2014
This is well written, and moves along at a good pace. There's quite a lot of musing on the part of the detectives, and it's fairly clear to the reader where things are going. On the whole, and enjoyable read.
on 25 October 2015
A really excellent book which I have read several times already, but have put it on line so that it Is there when I want. Marjorie Eccles is one of the best detective story writers ever, so reliably good.
on 20 July 2014
This was a great read, full of twists and turns. I shall certainly read more in this series.
on 14 July 2014
An easy read, British police/crime. I enjoyed it.
on 12 June 2015
Excellent plot. No spoilers here!