"The authors have produced a book which is true to its earlier strengths but has been brought up to date not only with respect to more recent research but also taking into account the ever changing world of education. While firmly grounded in the UK system, there is much of benefit to an international audience - soundly researched, well argued and an excellent integration of theory, policy and practice, this will be required reading for all those working in the SEN field."
Geoff Lindsay, Professor of Special Educational Needs and Educational Psychology, University of Warwick, UK
"When talking about inclusion and diversity the authors do not flinch from unwelcome truths and are eminently practical in their suggestions. Honesty and clarity shine out from this book, which has already become a classic and is now in its second edition."
Uta Frith, Emeritus Professor of Cognitive Development, University College London, UK
For many readers, the first edition of this book became the textbook on special educational needs. The new edition builds on this, offering a balance between theory, research and practice as well as a unique analysis of the implications of the effects of linguistic, cultural and ethnic diversity on special educational needs.
Whilst recognising the complex and difficult nature of many special educational needs, the authors place a firm emphasis on inclusion and suggest practical strategies to enable professionals to maximise inclusion at the same time as recognising and supporting diversity.
Key new features of the second edition include:
Special Educational Needs, Inclusion and Diversity
- New chapters on:
- SEN inclusion and diversity: an integrated approach
- Stakeholders in SEN and inclusion
- Assessment for learning
- Sensory needs (covering both visual and hearing impairment)
- Physical needs
- Broader coverage of hot topics which have been the focus of recent research, including dyspraxia; the role of genetic factors in development, and the contribution of neuroscience to our understanding of SEN
- Coverage of the impact of recent legislation and other national initiatives in education, including curricular, organisational and structural initiatives
- New case studies and activities that reflect recent changes in the field
- New materials and methods for assessment and teaching
is the definitive handbook for student teachers, newly qualified teachers, trainee educational psychologists, SENCO's and SEN Specialist Teachers.