on 5 May 2013
Generally a good read, maybe more enjoyable for musicians who would understand/appreciate the fine musical detail more than I would, but despite that I enjoyed it. There were some parts where the story hardly seemed to be developing and I nearly gave up, but I persevered and was rewarded by an overall great read.
Unfortunately (!) not that many scenes of debauchery although certainly the hero has frequent thoughts about sex, but then what musician doesn't - or indeed any other male! The 'hero' did not seem to be a pleasant fellow at all though I suppose that in order to be the best at one's work, one frequently has to be fairly self-centred. However it seems his heart was in the right place after all and despite his arrogance he was not really so self-centred as it seems and in the end helps save the world - as indeed most heroes do.
on 1 December 2011
My first venture into Mr. Davison's literary efforts. Being a musician, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it was the title that made me buy it in the first place. The book is set a fair way in the future, because the price of a pint is £30!

The obvious similarities to the 'hair' metal bands of the 80's along with all the musical references held my interest throughout the book. As the story unfolded I couldn't help but think of an inter-planetary Spinal Tap. Perhaps this could be made into a film? Maybe there could be a sequel - I sincerely hope so!

Once starting this book, I found it very hard to put down, as each chapter leaves you wondering about what the next one will reveal.

All in all, a great little read and I would recommend it.
on 26 April 2012
I bought this book on my kindle at a friend's recommendation having never heard of the author. The plot is fairly thin but that's the appeal of the book - it is simply light entertainment, perfect for a 5 hour flight! As a member of an amateur rock band, I got all the jokes and techie stuff about guitar technique and chord patterns; if you don't know your g-dim arpeggio from an F power chord, quite a lot of the book will mean very little to you, if you do, you're in for a great read!
on 4 November 2011
This is the 2nd of Davison's books that I have read and this one was pleasantly surprising. The cover belies a cleverly-written story inside, about the state of music in two centuries from now, with 'historical' glances back to the present day. Although I found quite a lot of small typos, the general thread and style of the story was very entertaining and I was keen to read on beyond the sample. 4.25 stars out of 5.
on 5 August 2011
This is a fantastically funny book,the best one Jonathan has written yet. Excellent characters and story with sub plots that will make you laugh and cringe at the same time. It does have strong language and sex scenes from the start so you have been warned!
The story takes place in the near future and the hero is a throwback to the days of Hair metal. IF you like sci-fi, guitars, music, comedy thenthis is the book for you!
enjoy...and tell Jon he needs to write a sequel!
on 6 March 2013
Not the best book, but I wanted to keep reading it to see what would happen. Fun, easy going but not a classic book, and something in a year I will have forgotten I have read.
on 26 September 2014