Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 January 2012
Following on from his brilliant two-part study of railways on the Isle of Wight, Ian Drummond now focuses on the lines around Southampton in his new book. An excellent read with a history of each of the stations and areas covered and a plentiful selection of photographs to compliment the text, both historial and contemporary. The author has chosen to publish his book in A4 size, a good move to showcase the maps and photographs. Anyone living in this area could not be but fascinated by the wealth of information contained in this book. A beautifully laid-out work printed on quality materials. I look forward to the next in the series on Southampton Docks. Highly recommended.
on 9 December 2011
This is a brilliant follow up to the 2 books about the Isle of Wight railways. I have learnt a lot about an area of the old Southern Region that I only new vaguely. I gather this publisher is going to produce a series of books about the Southern Region. If the rest are as good as this then I will buy them all. I cannot wait until they turn their attention to my "patch" the Central Division especially the lines around Redhill. This book is highly recommended !!
on 19 June 2013
I am so glad I bought this book. As a child growing up near Southampton in the 60s, this brings back so many memories. Containg a wealth of detail and anecdotes about the lines and stations immediately around Southampton, it is so obviously a labour of love. It is packed with not just the usual photographs but also interesting memorabilia illustrations. I look forward to reading the others in the series.
on 20 July 2014
An excellent book - well produced and very informative.