on 14 May 2011
It's a great book for referencing the maps and some detailed description of the beautiful sights along the path, however I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed. If you're looking for a comprehensive guide to distances, times, where to stay etc, then this isn't what you need.

Being my first long distance walk, I was hoping for less details on the rock formations, and history behind the local area, and more on the actual logistics behind doing such a walk. Recommendations on how much distance to cover each day, where to stay from budget to expense, food and provisions and where to stock up.

I gave it 4 stars, because it still functions well as a "guide". But just be aware of what you're looking for before you buy.
on 1 October 2014
Very useful and enjoyable .

However when walking to Bridport from West Bay (p66) I looked out for the thatched brewery but could only find a conventionally roofed one. Then (p70) the author describes how the harbour is cleared by damming the River Brit till the valley is full of water then the sluices are opened to scour out the pebbles. This sounded fascinating so I asked a local resident about it and he said that dredgers clear the harbour at low tide - not nearly so romantic!

This might seem like nit-picking, but the guide is the 2013 revised and updated version so one wonders if there are other minor discrepancies?
on 31 July 2013
All this series for the National Trails have been excellent.
1:25,000 maps are clear and just what is needed.
Good advice and running commentary.
on 16 March 2011
This book has been out of print and I am continuing the south west coastal path. I find the books useful giving hints where the path is, and a map extract in 25000:1 scale. I do recommend visiting the south west path webpage for the latest path changes. The book was withdrawn stock from a library but I could hardly tell it was not new. Delivery was quick so have not problems in using this supplier again.
on 21 September 2013
I walked this section of the path in September 2013 using Roland Tarr's guide. I found it to be perfect, small enough to barely make an impact the weight of my pack yet containing all the maps and information I could possibly need. I found the contents very accurate and up-to-date.
on 6 September 2013
Excellent, updated version of the National Trail Guide. Informative as well as practical. Useful information on accommodation, where to eat, ferries, local transport etc
on 9 October 2015
In line with the rest of the series, it's good value and provides a commentary on what's of interest rather than just a step-by-step description of the physical walk. Used in conjunction with some of the more technical guides it helps give a rounder picture of what to expect on a walk.
on 25 May 2015
Appears to be up to the standard of the previous two guides to the SWCP. Very informative and I'll not attempt any section between now and Poole without it.
on 4 July 2013
Clear maps and informative supporting text made this book a very useful adjunct to our trip to Dorset.
Small enough to slip into your backpack.
on 27 August 2015
Reading it looks very good. I will use it next time I walk the south coast, and then I will see how good it is.