Sound quality via optical cable

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jul 2009 11:01:50 BDT
Chris says:
I've just ordered a 550 after having chatted to someone at Curry's about connecting it to a Panasonic SC-PT860 surround sound system via the optical cable. I'm told that this is a digital connection and that I will get good 5.1 decoding and sound output. Does anyone have experience with this?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2009 18:05:52 BDT
B. Mait says:
I have the BDP-S550 connected via the optical cable (spdif) to a Sony DAV-SC8 which does full 5.1 DD and DTS, sound quality is impressive

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2009 12:52:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Aug 2009 12:53:12 BDT
J. Newman says:
Yes - get an optical cable instead of using a coaxial cable - opticals are best for sound transfer. Don't scrimp though - a quality optical cable should cost about 20 for 1m. Ixos are good. There are plenty of 5 to 10 cables but if you're after top quality sound distribution you can destroy this with a lesser cable. Enjoy!

Posted on 12 Sep 2009 22:57:45 BDT
Don't you sacrifice experiancing DolbyTrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio through the optical and coaxual connections? Think you either need to get the sound through the HDMI cable or the analogue 8 channel outputs.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2009 10:23:57 BDT
Yes indeed you do sacrifice HD sound using optical and contrary to an earlier comment, there really isn't any difference between coax digital & optical connection. In fact many prefer coax over optical as the physical connection is more "secure".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  8 Jul 2009
Latest post:  16 Oct 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sony BDPS550 Profile 2.0 Blu-ray Player
Sony BDPS550 Profile 2.0 Blu-ray Player by Sony
4.5 out of 5 stars   (50)