on 7 March 2014
Sound and Recording is not for the faint hearted…for any one wanting a hard-core source of knowledge for the technical side of audio engineering and recording from the “how technology works” perspective, you’d be hard pressed to find a better written, or more in-depth book than this. Incredibly detailed and incredibly thorough in all respects, this is simply the quintessential publication for audio principles and engineering.
on 26 July 2015
I mistakenly brought this book to find out more about the science of sound and recording (e.g. practical types of microphones and applications, find out about mixing desks and how to use) and particularly get a practical steer and tips on basic principles - what not to do / buy etc. I didn't think this book was any where near what i thought it was and had to return.

I understand that Rumsey is a respected writer but I don't know if this is a book i would ever buy if I was an sound/audio university student (which I am not). As a study, this book is at times unreadable - there are just too many glib references to terms which themselves need explanation, but which the writer can take for granted. The text is very dense, heavy-reading, and you can't sit back and take stock. At the end of the day, you want to be good at recording and sound...not necessarily want to understand waves and so on.