- Enjoy £1.00 credit to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 credit per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Check out big titles at small prices with our Chart Offers in DVD & Blu-ray. Find more great prices in our Top Offers Store.
- Note: Blu-ray discs are in a high definition format and need to be played on a Blu-ray player.
- Important Information on Firmware Updates: Having trouble with your Blu-ray disc player? Will certain discs just not play? You may need to update the firmware inside your player. Click here to learn more.
Sound City [Blu-ray] 
Get £1 Off Amazon Video*
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Foo Fighters frontman and former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl directs this documentary about Los Angeles' Sound City Studios which specialised in analog recording. Following the closure of the studio in 2011, due to the growing demand for digital recording, Grohl assembled a number of artists, including Josh Homme, Trent Reznor, Paul McCartney and Stevie Nicks, to give interviews and performances while contributing to the creation of a new album.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Dave bought the soundboard and the film maps the creative process in making the music and not being afraid to take risks and explore new territory . In reality this film is a vehicle for musical creativity and excellence of vision, though overall the plaudits belong to Dave Grohl for placing his enthusiasim on the screen in a very honest truthful manner . In addition the various producers, owners and employees of Sound City tell the story in a forthright and interesting manner which delights the viewer and is a first rate watch. Its warm , creative and a wonderful film with an incredible soundtrack bringing the music right up to date. I thoroughly enjoyed this and if rock music is one of your passions you will too, in addition its humerous too not taking itself too seriously,well done Dave.
Rather than merely a series of fascinating talking heads, Grohl shows real flair as a film-maker, both in his framing and editing, and it is this panache which lifts 'Sound City' above the standards of your average rockumentary and gives it immediate 'classic' status.
It's a very moving piece of work, a real labour of love for Grohl, and reveals some fascinating facts about this oasis of genius in the San Fernando Valley as well as some memorable anecdotes from the coterie of stars interviewed.
Stand out moments have to be the recollections from Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks - their one and only infamous 'Buckingham Nicks' LP, before joining and transforming Fleetwood Mac, was the first ever to be recorded at the studio - and it's quite a tear-jerker to see the ever-wonderful Nicks record a breathtaking new track for this film which expresses her deep sadness at the loss of her godson to a heroin overdose last year.
All in all, this is not to be missed, and the high quality widescreen, 5.1 blu-ray contains an exclusive 45 minutes of extra footage which is just as unmissable as the 107 minute movie itself.
This is in no way meant to belittle his musical contribution, but rather to stress the incredible amount of research and work that obviously went into this chronicle of American rock history 1969 - 2013, written and shot on the backdrop of a life story of a Neve recording console. (Granted, Grohl took what some might find an oversize part in the second half of that chronicle, but then he kind of deserves it, doesn't he?).
We should all send a cheque and a big thank you note to Dave Grohl for capturing this history, which is what I am doing right now.
Lots of interviews with artists and staff give an intriguing look behind the studios.
Really enjoyed this.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great movie with interesting insights into the history of some fantastic musicians and producers etc.Published 4 months ago by Leslie Starkey
Excellent. It is healthy and necessary to have this material at hand.-Published 6 months ago by Raul Sarachu
Bought as a gift after being impressed with the programme when it was on TVPublished 8 months ago by Madeline Roberts