on 31 July 2014
Review Courtesy of April Hollingworth

Book 1 in the Rise of the Fallen series, My Soul to keep is a fantastic start to what promises to be a wonderful series. I completely recommend reading this book, and can’t wait to read the rest of the series. And remember be careful what you wish for, as you might just get it!

Opening Scene:

Ever have one of those bad ideas just pop into your head?

The Review:

Ever done something so stupid you wish you could take it back? Either that or slap your hand over your mouth before you say it? Connor Sullivan wishes just that, after he accidently sold his soul for a single wish.
The stunningly gorgeous, but rather temperamental Clarisse, is not impressed when Connor tries to save his soul. It’s not her problem he signed a contract in blood, one wish for one soul and that soul being his.
What begins as a simple exchange turns the lives of Connor and Clarisse upside down, especially when the beautiful but blind new girl comes to town, and Connor can’t help but fall for her. As romance blossoms, Connor learns about his new destiny, and how one simple act, one simple wish can change the lives of many.

Notable Scene:

“Connor Sullivan?” She made my name a question. I nodded dumbly. “Come on, let’s get this over with.”
“Excuse me?”
“Look, I don’t have time for this. I have three more after you. What do you want?”
“Excuse me?” The word hooker flashed through my mind.
“Did you, or did you not, sign a binding contract offering your soul in exchange for one wish? If I have the wrong Connor Sullivan who lives at 1432 Willow Street, I apologize.” She rolled her eyes and threw up her arms, apparently more than a little annoyed.
“That was real?”
“Yes, completely. Now I haven’t got all night. What do you want? Make it good. The price is a little hefty I’ll admit, but it’s worth it.”
Realization dawned on me. My knees went weak, but I managed to stay on my sketchers. “This isn’t some sort of joke?”
“Nope, one wish for one soul, that was the deal.”

FTC Advisory: Jen Wylie provided me with a copy of My Soul to Keep by Sean Hayden. Published through Untold Press. Kindle Edition. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
on 2 May 2013
It's a great thing to fall in love. It's an absolute devil of a thing to jeopardise the one you love. What price would you pay to have granted any wish you could imagine?

Connor, the very definition of an average guy, enjoys not much more in life than playing video games... and loathes not much more in life than algebra! In a moment of manic lunacy, he decides to make a deal with...the devil?... he has no idea. He's just bored. And he has a black candle. And with a drop of blood scribbled over a randomly composed `contract' to trade his soul for a wish, he has a moment of `crazy'.

Up to the kerb, straddling a throbbing motorbike, roars a beautiful young woman, Clarisse. Impatiently, she has only one thing she wants to know from Connor... `what d'ya want?'

Clarisse is one of the Fallen. And much to her amazement, shock and - well, horror - Connor asks for that which should never be asked for...

...To be one of the Fallen.

Clarisse, reluctantly, must grant him that wish. After all, a deal's a deal. And now she has to guide him through the complex structure of his new role. But she doesn't do so with good grace. In fact, she has nothing but malice for he whom she calls the "worm", who dared to ask for such a thing...

However, Connor's life takes a bright turn, as Jessica, blind and beautiful, walks into his high school and into his life. Whilst very carefully courting this jewel in the classroom, Connor must deal with the training which the demon Clarisse forces him through, the undertaking of his new obligations, and still of course...algebra.

His powers grow. Rather too fast for comfort. Algebra is no longer a problem. Athletics come easy. Nothing, for that matter, is a problem and everything, for that matter, comes easy. Except that he can see vampires. He can see witches. He can see everything he'd rather not see, but must learn to accept that nothing is as it seems. His first task as a Fallen seems, like everything else, easy enough. But [without giving up spoilers]... there may be some consequences of an unpredictable and quite dangerous nature to deal with further down the line.

Ever said `I don't know my own strength'?

That's Connor's problem...he doesn't.

This is a belly-laugh funny tale of an average boy made special. And how he copes with the terms of his blood contract. How he copes with an overwhelming desire for the beautiful Jessica. And how he copes with the sweet, snarky wench, Clarisse. It's a swift read because you just want to keep on laughing at the misadventures of this errant teenager. This line is just one gem out of many: "I wanted to seem intelligent, so I kept my mouth shut" - and let's have another: "Only one thing travelled faster than light, gossip"...

Excellent!

My Soul To Keep is funny as all Hell broke loose, imaginative, cleverly developed, and littered with bizarre surprises. Recommended.
on 4 September 2014
My Soul To Keep was a wonderful story. It put a new but familiar twist on angels and demons, or rather the Chosen and the Fallen. The book was well written, and the characters were well drawn out. The story kept me entertained till the very end, and even wanting more.

The book was written nicely, and made for a fast paced read. Sean was pretty straight forward with the idea of the story, and subtle with hints of things that might happen next, which made the book all the more mysterious. The book was just really funny. Sean incorporated humor into the story like it was nobody's business. It was hilarious!

All of the characters were fun to discover, especially the main character, Connor, and Clarisse, his mentor. They are a funny pair and make for a good chuckle when they are together. I also liked the idea of Connor and Jessica being together. They are adorable, and all of their scenes together make me smile.

All in all, the story was very interesting and I barely put the book down while I was reading. It was funny and suspensful. Sean did a really good job at telling this story, and I can't wait to read the next book, Your Soul To Take. I have to give this book 5 out of 5 stars!