Madonna's latest single Sorry has been given the Maxi treatment following in the footsteps of the #1 hit "Hung Up" - which is a hard thing to do for any artist, but Madonna very capably achieves conquering her previous hit.
1. Sorry (Single Edit) - the version we've all been hearing on the radio. Basically the album cut with a fade-out ending. With the very catchy and unapologetic lyrics "I've heard it all before", this may very well be one of the few kiss-off songs Madonna's done that come across with a kiss-my-ass attitude. 5 stars
2. Sorry (Man With Guitar Edit) - this edit of Sorry is probably one of my favorites on this Maxi. It is basically an extended version of this song with a crazy synthetic guitar thromping throughout. It's very reminiscent of Madonna's early days a'la "Burning Up". 5 Stars
3. Sorry (PSB Maxi-Mix) - Pet Shop Boys. That's enough said to warrant this a must have cut of Sorry. I'm surprised at the amount of freshness that is exuded by this remix. It very cleverly uses the original music from the song, only re-recorded, and gives it a very retro-futuristic sound. 5 stars
4. Sorry (Paul Oakenfold Remix) - ahh... good ole' Oakenfold. This is the first remix I've liked of his since he remixed "Hollywood". It almost sounds like he samples "As the Rush Comes" by Motorcycle through the song. The lyrical content is very cut-down. Mostly just the hook is repeated through the song, but it's still very upbeat and a great song for the clubs. 4 1/2 Stars
5. Sorry (Green Velvet Remix) - This remix is just okay. It's got these beep noises throughout that get kind've annoying, but the way Madonna's lyrics resonate over the beeping is enough to save the song. This is a great remix due to the way they looped the lyrics. They make it sound like Madge is singing "he's sorry" in a very arrogant, 'I'm so over you' way. 4 1/2 stars
6. Let It Will Be (Paper Faces Vocal Edit) - The only non-Sorry mix on the Maxi. Although it's exciting to hear one of the songs that will not likely be a single from the album remixed, it's not a very good mix. It takes away from the original's beat and lyrical content, as well as becomes repetative very quickly, which isn't a good thing for a 5 and a half minute song. But it isn't terrible, so I'd say 4 stars
All in all, I'd say that this is a necessity for any music collection. Madonna's hardcore fans will be glad for the remixes and the gorgeous cover photo.
4 1/2 Stars Total.