Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2008 22:04:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2008 22:04:31 GMT
malib says:
I have come across a similar scam within the last week about a sony laptop on amazon. The seller offers the sony f11e at a reduced rate and says if you are interested amazon will contact you on my behalf to make the transaction safe. The email from amazon seem genuine as it has the real amazon email address and in the email says don't send the moneygram payment directly to the seller click on the link in the email for payment instructions. I forwarded the payment instructions for the moneygram to Amazon who said they would not forward the moneygram to the seller until I had received the laptop inspected it and was happy with it. So I forwarded the payment detail to who I thought was amazon.I was lucky there was a typo at the post office on the recipients name and amazon replied saying the payment has been declined change the name to the one on the email. I then realised why would amazon be forwarding the payment details to the seller before I had received the goods and before the transaction was complete.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2008 23:45:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2008 23:48:00 GMT
panorama93 says:
I almost became victim of a very sophisticated "scammer" on Amazon at the moment who changes his seller name daily to that of a genuine online company (to check Google them and contact via their website to ask if it is their Amazon Storefront) even using their logo and advertises new or "used - like new" laptops, tvs, playstations etc. at very low prices. When you try to complete your order your delivery address is "blocked" so you have to email the seller, who replies by email and suggests ways of completing the order, asking for your full name and address. When "for security reasons" you ask them for their name, address and telephone number before proceeding any further with the transaction they will reply "no, bye"!

Posted on 25 Nov 2009 15:28:03 GMT
Yes me too but this time it was a LCD TV. The scam email starts as follows:

"Hello,
the Sony Bravia KDL40W5500U 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview and 100Hz Motionflow is in Mint, New condition with all accessories, UK model, comes with 1 year warranty. The price is £355.00 + £20.00 for delivery ( 1 - 3 days delivery time ). Return policy is full money back in 30 days. If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.

Regards ,"

They wanted my name and address but would not give me any info about themselves even though I asked repeatedly. No doubt the next step would be the fake invoice or some other fake way of getting you to send them cash.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2009 21:03:07 GMT
Chris Beem says:
Had the same item and I nearly fell for it! Had a fake invoice which looked just like an Amazon email but no order number. I phoned Amazon and they were very disinterested!

Posted on 8 Dec 2009 20:20:25 GMT
All,

I had a similar experience with Canon D500 which is actually 560 pounds, but a seller offered it for 330. I tried to place the order, but it said it cannot deliver items to my address. When contacted via mail this was the reply:

"Hello
Those problems appeared from Amazon,but now we solved those.
We offer free shipping if you will order it within next 2 days.
If you have any questions regarding the product,returning policy or if you want to order please don't hesitate to write to us.
Do you still want to place a order?
Waiting for your email!"

I wasnt convinced, so asked few more questions, then I got this:

"Hello
If you want to order it please send me your full name and shipping adress to start the order through Amazon.
After i will start the order you will be contacted by Amazon about the payment method and shipping details.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask us about.
Waiting for your email."

That's it. I stopped it. I raised a complaint in Amazon regarding this, but they never responded to it.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2009 12:35:25 GMT
Allen says:
I have had EXACTLY the same correspondence (down to the poor English) when looking at the Nikon D90 Kit. On Amazon Market place for £451 and though amazon.co.uk at £779. Pure scam. The moment money transer is mentioned, leave well alone.

The email addresses that I have corresponded though are:

Alexander Groom (oscar-dehn@hotmail.com)
orchard.order@googlemail.com

Hopefully other people will google their email addresses and come up with this.

Why would any trustworty retailer have hotmail & gmail addresses? They are coming across as legit UK based companies with corresponding company websites.

Again - leave well well alone - pure scammers.

Thanks

Posted on 14 Dec 2009 15:28:26 GMT
D. M. Fraser says:
I have just to my horror - very almost - been take in by the scammer Alexander Groom, again on electrical goods (in this case a 46" Sony Widescreen TV), advertising through a company known as JewelleryCave and using the same correspondence. I was asked to send a moneygram to an address in Rome, and have subsequently spoken with Amazon's customer service who assure me that this is illegitimate. I have re-contacted Amazon's customer service centre to report this scammer and will be e-mailing full details to them for investigation. Please do the same guys in case he successfully rips off someone more naive.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2009 17:57:31 GMT
Ever so glad I googled this guys name! Exactly the same happened to me as did to D Fraser, he was offering a 13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz model, retailed at £900 for £560, I thought it was too good to be true and when asked to pay through moneygram my suspicions raised further, I emailed Amazon and did my own research before I went through with it, I have now filed a complaint about scamming from this man

Posted on 21 Dec 2009 20:19:32 GMT
All very interesting, what is Amazon doing about this. I got scammed lost the money but when I talked to Amazon they couldn't care a less. This guy is still using the same email address and name on Amazon even though it appears that a number of people have contacted them about this. Shame on you Amazon, where is your seller quality control.

Posted on 21 Dec 2009 20:42:47 GMT
I have just phoned Amazon and reemailed them with this forum link. Maybe they need to moderate these posts. Fair enough I got spammed but I have just checked and the same guy is out selling om Amazon using the same name and email address - hardly sophisticated and says nothing for Amazon's avility to close out fraud!!

Posted on 29 Jan 2011 06:50:27 GMT
I lost $1,100.00 on a Macbook pro, through an Amazon listing from "Bonnie Slobodien".
The account has since been closed and I'm finding Amazon unhelpful.

How can Amazon just ignore these scams?

Posted on 3 Apr 2011 00:27:43 BDT
Has anyone ever had any problems with an aaron strickland? though it does say he has just launched, so probably not! He is selling the laptop I am interested in purchasing (but sold out on amazon before I had chance) for about £60 cheaper than amazon sell it for. I wanted to check no-one has had any problems with this seller before purchasing from a potentially dodgey seller!
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 19:59:56 BDT
Sid says:
This sooooooo should be on panorama

Posted on 6 May 2012 20:22:33 BDT
T. Edmonds says:
Amazon seem to take NO responsibility for the quality of their marketplace sellers. I've just fallen foul of a money gram scam. Amazon have said in an online chat session that they ensure their market place sellers are of high quality. It's a joke. I shall be boycotting Amazon (full stop!) from now on.

Posted on 24 May 2012 00:00:21 BDT
PanMi says:
Hi to everyone,

I just had a same incident with a seller (dairo99) regarding the Nikon D7000 kit.

The seller has not provided the return and refund policy so emailed them through amazon to take a reply that i should contact directly their website (www.ktech-electronics.com) for more info. I did that and asked for more info and I got the following reply:

''Hi,

I can ship to UK.

The Nikon D7000+18-105 kit is new, comes with 24 months Nikon International warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories. The total price is £691.00 + £9.00 for delivery.

The Delivery will take 3 - 5 days and my return policy is full money back in 14 days.

We will deal trough Amazon. We will setup the order through Amazon. I would need your name and address so I can contact Amazon and ask them to setup an order for you, and for delivery purposes. After that they will contact you for payment and delivery.

Thanks,
K-tech/Sales Manager
JIM HORIA''

I replied to the merchant saying that our email communication should be through amazon and I asked him to send me the same email and mention the return policy on Amazon website. A few hours later I received an email from the address: auto-confirm@amazon-az-guarantee.com mentioning the following:

''Greetings from Amazon.co.uk

This message is to confirm the safety of your transaction with JIM HORIA.

We can confirm that the seller was verified and we have agreed to complete this transaction through our Amazon A-to-Z Guarantee Program.

Thank you for shopping with us.

Amazon.co.uk
Earth's Biggest Selection''

It is obvious that is a scam, so be careful!

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 23:15:25 BDT
If it seems too good to be true that's because it is. Don't be greedy and avoid `just launched sellers.

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 20:46:06 BDT
Urfan Khaliq says:
I have the same experience with a Nikon D800 at 999 pounds. I was asked to email first for all details on ukt343@msn.com for details. I had them same it is a new UK camera, not grey, refurbished, all manufacturers warranty etc. I was dubious so sought further clarification and got promises but vague ones. Key thing I was asked for my billing address to start the Amazon process. When I asked why I was told so as to reserve stock as Amazon take 23 hours to process the order. I eventually placed it through Amazon with a credit card for back up. I then googled and found this website and my suspicions were confirmed do I cancelled the order. I notified Amazon of the company name etc. I was given a prepared script answer and vague assurances. If it sounds to good to be true on Amazon Marketplace, it is l.

Posted on 5 Jul 2013 17:22:15 BDT
I was looking for cameras, and I found something I liked.
The seller was UKT343@MSN.COM.

Not e I did not make any payment, as I found this a bit too strange.
What surprises me is the fact that this is not the first time which happens in your website.
If you read the following link dated from March, the same ukt343 was selling in your website.
http://gruppen.niuz.biz/merkw-t798299.html?s=770437ef27d3270db42db2a4b14ccde1&langid=1

I can see also, that it did not happen to me either...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-laptop-marketplace-scam/forum/Fx2CGYWAKE9F66T/TxL6ER8L17XAYA/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00131W8IW

What do people need to become an Amazon's seller? If we can not trust the site, buying on the internet makes no sense.

What would have happened if I had bought the camera through your website? Because the option was available...

I think Amazon should know who is selling, have copy of i.d. cards, be aware of the origin of the second hand products which may be sold on your site... Do not you care if your site is being used to sell stolen products....?

Please, see bellow the emails we exchanged...

To: Rocio <alpino@yahoo.es>
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 3:27 PM
Subject: RE: Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II + EF24-105 Kit

Ok, no problem. i waiting the payment validation by amazon
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 13:05:58 +0100
Subject: Re: Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II + EF24-105 Kit
To: ukt343@msn.com
Dear Rita,

I am on the beach now and have no possibility to scan the copy of the receipt, but banks will manage... This goes automatically from bank to bank

Sent via BlackBerry® from Dialog

Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 1:33 PM

Ok, please reply to Amazon Services with proof your payment for a fast verification.
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 12:31:25 +0100
Subject: Re: Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II + EF24-105 Kit
To: ukt343@msn.com
Dear Rita,

I received the Amazon's confirmation order number 202-8515169-6912551 .

I already made the transfer from my bank account, and I was told the payment will arrive by Tuesday, as latest.
I hope you can send me the DHL tracking number as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for your transaction.
I will be glad to leave a positive feedback for your.

Best regards
+++

Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 5:13 AM

Hello ,

The Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II + EF24-105 Kit is new, UK model (not grey market or refurbished, brand new, never used). The product is in new condition, comes with 24 months international warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories.
The price is 990,00 GBP including all the shipping taxes.
If you want to buy send me your full name and address and i will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Despatch is by normal Royal Mail or DHL Services which takes 2-5 days depending on where in the UK you are.
My return policy is full money back in 21 days.
For more information don't hesitate to contact me

Many Thanks
Rita Luger
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 22:29:41 +0100
Subject: Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II + EF24-105 Kit
To: UKT343@MSN.COM
Please, provide full details about this camera.
Condition, number of frames, pictures of the camera and lense, number of serial?
Is it guaranteed?
How old is the camera?
Which company do you represent. Can you send it cash on delivery, or payment with verified visa or similar?
Thanks

This is the following "amazon's payment order":

To: alpino@yahoo.es
Sent: Friday, July 5, 2013 1:06 PM
Subject: Your Order with Amazon.co.uk

Payment Invoice for Order# 202-8515169-6912551 (Due Date: July-06-2013)

Thanks for your order, Marcos!
Amazon.co.uk requires the payment for this order to be submitted via Bank Transfer. The Bank Transfer will be sent to one of Amazon.co.uk representatives (see details below). As soon as payment will be confirmed and verified, this order will automatically appear under the buyer Amazon.co.uk account. Please follow our instructions in order to complete the transaction safely. The buyer payment will be on hold until buyer confirms that the purchased merchant
03:01 PM(GMT) Marcos: has been received. As soon Amazon Payments receives the buyer confirmation, the buyer payment will be released and the seller will receive his payment.
Ordering Information:
Invoice Address:

Delivery Address:

Shipp from Address:
Rita Luger
79A Carlyle Road
London W5 4BP
United Kingdom

Order Grand Total: £995.99

Order Summary
Shipping Details : UKT343

Order #:
202-8515169-6912551
Item: Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II + EF24-105 Kit

Shipping Method:Standard Shipping
Subtotal of Items: £990.00
Shipping & Handling: £5.99

------

Estimated Tax To Be Collected:*
£0.00
------
Order Total:
£995.99

How to make payment ?
Please make the payment by Bank Transfer to our Agent Account!
Payment Address:
Name: Constantin Cosm Nuta
IBAN: GR35 0110 1420 0000 1426 2893 473

Swift / Bic code: ETHNGRAA
Name Bank and address : NBG Bank, Palilogos 53-55 TK, 10438 Atena, Greece

* Reply to this ad with the following details from the payment:
- Name and address of the sender
- Amount and product name
- The scanned document from the bank.
Please note: If you need further assistance please reply to this message.*********

Thanks again for shopping with us.
Amazon.co.uk
Earth's Biggest Selection

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2013 14:20:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2013 14:21:43 BDT
Linda Quinn says:
wow they are still at it see post: its the same name Rita Luger !!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/forums?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx8DKXNI5KP8IK&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2XD38F9HG8GGJ&newContentID=Mx1VI36KZGJU8DI&newContentNum=7&ref_=cm_cd_notf_reply

Ive just nearly been conned, its the same address as you that i contacted the buyer. I have made amazon aware of this fraud. Linda
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  25 Nov 2008
Latest post:  9 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit)
Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit) by Canon
4.5 out of 5 stars   (83)