Sony Xperia M SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Android)
Colour Name: BlackSize: 4GBChange
Price:£129.99-£139.00

on 5 December 2013
Well after wondering whether to buy another smartphone, I am GLAD I have. I am not very technical and after having a poor experience with an HTC wildfire I looked at various options for not too expensive phones, this was recommended. VERY VERY easy to get used to, good connections to wifi and 3g also Bluetooth. I love playing scrabble with friends on it. Brilliant for downloading and playing my music. Camera is not bad either and quick and easy to use with decent quality pictures. Oh yes and far better than my last smartphone for phoning/texting, touch screen a lot more responsive. So if like me you are dithering on a good quality lower priced phone, do not hesitate, just get it.
on 12 April 2014
I've only had this phone for a couple of days now, but here are my thoughts so far. This is a pretty detailed review but I've summarised in a list of pros and cons at the bottom.

I originally had a Huawei Ascend G300 which I had for almost a year and a half before I accidentally dropped it on concrete and the screen smashed. Now, the Huawei cost about £80 when I bought it. I got the Sony Xperia M for £100 - only £20 more. The differences between the two phones are immense.

The Sony is very stylish with a nice, responsive touch screen and several side buttons. I've not had a phone with a hold button on the side before but it hasn't taken me long to get used to it. It's a nice shape, quite large (but that's mostly because I've had little brick phones for years) but still compact. It doesn't feel particularly sturdy and is quite light in the hand, which concerns me in regards to its durability.

It's pretty easy to navigate around the phone. You can set up various buttons to appear at the bottom and organise your apps onto different pages which you can navigate by swiping left or right. I particularly like the set of options (such as wifi, volume, data, flight mode, screen brightness etc.) positioned in a small panel that you simply click to enlarge. You can easily turn different functions on and off which I think is a nice touch. There are three small touch screen buttons that are constantly alert at the bottom of the screen which include the 'home' button and a small button that when pressed brings up a list of your currently open apps and a few basic tools (such as calculator, timer etc.). This makes it easy to navigate several app screens at once as well as shutting down any running unnecessarily.

The keyboard is a little bit cramped but is similar to my old Huawei so I'm used to it. Someone with large fingers may struggle though! It's also got a 'swipe' texting function that allows you to sweep your finger from letter to letter without letting go of the screen. I've had a little go at this and it seems to work quite well - though I'll probably stick to the normal tapping method.

The speakers are very impressive - I've blasted a few tunes and the music comes out surprisingly loud for a small device, without losing quality. The earphones that were supplied with the phone were uncomfortable and distorted the quality of the music. I purchased a better quality Sony pair and they've allowed me to appreciate the sound quality of the phone.

The camera is pretty average. It takes standard photos and the flash seems to work quite well. It's what you would expect for a phone in this price range. I do rather like the dedicated camera button on the side - although I do find myself accidentally clicking the lock/hold button instead sometimes (though it's still early days and I'm still getting to know the phone.)

The internet seems to work well - I've used a number of different apps including the browser and it is all fast and smooth. It is certainly a huge improvement on my old phone which was extremely slow and used to crash more often than not.

The reception also seems to be on track. I live in an area with very little reception but the Sony Xperia M has coped very well so far considering the circumstances.

Lastly, the battery life seems pretty substantial. I've been online a lot today and have been fiddling about with various apps and it's not even lost 20% yet! I do, however, have an App Killer. However, as far as I can tell, the battery life is great for a smartphone.

In summary:

Pros
- Nice design
- Easy to navigate
- Excellent speakers and sound quality
- Responsive screen
- Good battery life
- Internet smooth and quick
- Good reception

Cons
- Not very sturdy
- Camera is average, could be better
- The keyboard is a little bit cramped

Conclusions: I am very happy with this phone so far. I think is great value for money and would be a fantastic phone for someone who wants a reliable and responsive Smartphone without forking out a fortune.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 October 2013
I got this phone from O2 on Pay & Go for £169.99 the white variant which came with a FREE Purple back cover. I have to say this phone is awesome. The Sony Xperia M has replaced my Sony Xperia S.

What I Like About The Sony Xperia M
+ Build Quality
+ Design
+ Feels Premium
+ Lightweight (not heavy as Xperia S)
+ Vivid Screen Colours (unlike Xperia S washed out)
+ Easy To Remove Back Cover (unlike Xperia L, users will know what I'm talking about)
+ Software Is Butter Smooth (way better than the Xperia S Jelly Bean)
+ Battery Life
+ Removable Battery (great for replacing if faulty battery unlike built-in sealed battery)
+ Ultra Fast Responsive Screen
+ Very Loud Speakers
+ Great Music Quality/Loudness via Earphones/Headphones (use Bose/Sennheiser to feel the difference)
+ Games Run Smooth
+ 1GB RAM which Helps :)
+ LED Notification Bar On Bottom (different colours, reminds of Knight Rider KITT)
+ Call Volume via Loudspeaker Is Very Loud & Clear
+ Call Volume via Built-in Earpiece Is Loud & Clear

The screen is not sharp as Xperia S but the Xperia M screen is fantastic, very vivid & punchy colours. The downside is the camera/video quality which is NOT great but oh well I have a digital camera for those purposes.

I would highly recommend this phone as it's fast and just looks fantastic to hold especially in white! You can do your normal daily tasks without any problems.

Looks like Sony are taking steps in the right direction with their new line up of XPERIA range!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 August 2014
My initial impressions...

Okay so broke my Samsung Galaxy S3 and needed a replacement, did not want to pay off contract to get an iPhone so bought this as an alternative.

My initial impressions are stated below:

1. Thought this would be equal to Samsung Galaxy S3 due to its later release date but was wrong. I initially thought this had a higher price tag on release so wasn't sure if was released as a budget option but has less memory by 28GB.

2. Interior camera is shocking, no flash so selfies in night light are impossible and at other times too blurry to be of any use. Exterior is better but for those of you who rely on a phone instead of a camera may be disappointed.

3. To me this feels cheap and plastic-y and reminds me of a child's toy or a remote control. I hate the texture and the plastic screen but maybe a case will rectify this. I'm hoping.

4. Works quickly. Screen is clear and easy to navigate.

5. All major apps are included in phone's internal memory such as FB and You Tube, which is helpful as it saves time and GB.

6. Really lightweight as is charger.

Hope my initial impressions are helpful. As a budget handset this is ideal, but for those who intend to use as a camera replacement, you may be disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 September 2013
This isn't a normal review, it's just a summary of how the new(ish) Xperia M compares with its predecessor, the Xperia J. My daughter has been using the J for nearly a year and this week I got the M as a replacement, so I'm taking the older model for myself as I don't use all the features of a smartphone that often.

The bottom line is that the M is much faster. Speed of processing has been an occasional nuisance with the J, but this flaw - one of the few the Xperia J has - has been notably improved with the M. Lag has all but disappeared. And the on/off button, which is small and difficult to find quickly with the J, has been moved and enlarged in the M - a big improvement.

***KEY DIFFERENCES***

Operating system in the M : Android 4.1
Operating system in the J : Android 4.0, 4.1.2

Dimensions - M : 124 x 62 x 9.3 mm
Dimensions - J : 124.3 x 61.2 x 9.2 mm

Weight - M : 4.06 oz (115 g)
Weight - J : 4.37 oz (124 g)

Side Keys - M : Right: Volume control, Camera shutter, Lock/Unlock key
Side Keys - J : Right: Volume control, Lock/Unlock key

Features of M : Light sensor, Proximity sensor, Scratch-resistant glass
Features of J : Proximity sensor, Scratch-resistant glass

Battery Talk time - M : 10.30 hours
Battery Talk time - J : 05.60 hours

Stand-by time - M : 20.8 days (498 hours)
Stand-by time - J : 25.3 days (607 hours)

3G Talk time - M : 9.00 hours
3G Talk time - J : 7.30 hours

3G Stand-by time - M : 18.9 days (454 hours)
3G Stand-by time - J : 25.8 days (618 hours)

Music playback : 39.40 hours (M) - 39.40 hours (J)
Video playback : 6.58 hours (M) - 8.50 hours (J)

System chip - M : Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8227
System chip - J : Qualcomm Snapdragon S1 MSM7227A

Processor - - M : Dual core, 1000 MHz, Krait
Processor - - J : Single core, 1000 MHz, ARM Cortex-A5

Graphics processor - M : Adreno 305
Graphics processor - J : Adreno 200 (enhanced)

System memory - - - M : 1024 MB RAM
System memory - - - J : 512 MB RAM

Built-in storage - M : 4 GB
Built-in storage - J : 4 GB

Maximum User Storage - M : 2 GB
Maximum User Storage - J : n/a

Camera features - M : Auto focus, Touch to focus, Face detection, Digital zoom, Geo tagging, Panorama
Camera features - J : Auto focus, Touch to focus, Digital image stabilization, Digital zoom, Geo tagging, Self-timer

Camcorder - M : 1280x720 (720p HD)
Camcorder - J : 640x480 (VGA)

Recording format - M : MPEG4, H.263, H.264
Recording format - J : n/a

***SIMILARITIES***

Form factor : Candybar in both the M and the J

Physical size 4.0 inches (M) 4.0 inches (J)
Resolution 480 x 854 pixels (M) 480 x 854 pixels (J)
Pixel density 245 ppi (M) 245 ppi (J)
Technology TFT (M) TFT (J)

Colours 16 777 216 (M) 16 777 216 (J)
Touchscreen : Capacitive/Multi-touch (M) Capacitive/Multi-touch (J)

Capacity : 1750 mAh (M) / 1750 mAh (J)

Storage expansion - M : microSD, microSDHC up to 32 GB
Storage expansion - J : microSD, microSDHC up to 32 GB

Camera - M : 5 megapixels with LED flash
Camera - J : 5 megapixels with LED flash

Features - M : Video calling
Features - J : Video light, Video calling

Front-facing camera - M : 0.3 megapixels VGA
Front-facing camera - J : 0.3 megapixels VGA

I think that the Sony Xperia M is one of the best smartphones at the relatively lower-priced end of the market, by which I mean about £200 or less (which this phone was selling for at the time of this review, Sept 2013). It feels a more premium product than, for example, the Samsung I8160 Galaxy Ace 2. Others considered were the LG L7 II, the Huawei Ascend G510, and the Nokia Lumia 820
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 August 2014
This phone is a good price and the OS is easy to use, Google play offers a wide range of apps and games to download. I've had mine since Easter and recently it has been freezing A LOT. The amount of internal memory is not listed in the description so I automatically assumed it would be about 8GB however, what you actually get is 2GB and after all the pre-installed apps are added there's not much left. You can't delete the apps that come preinstalled and you can't download apps to your memory card. So you can't have much on the phone before the memory is full and the phone is slowed down. Also the battery life is shocking, I have to have it on stamina mode permanently and it just about lasts the whole day if I just send the odd text. I like the interface and design and it'll do for now but the memory definitely lets it down.
on 12 June 2014
I chose this phone due to my experience with Sony mobiles offering by far the best High fidelity musical performance;
However the phone's earphone socket consistently refused to work. If I opened the phone, then pluggeed phones in; it would work after I closed the phone for a few hours then stop again. I tried this with 4 different ear / headphones (2 sony, 1 senheisser and one unbranded) all gave the same issue. I rejected and returned the item AND ordered a replacement of a different colour, only to discover the same issue again. Contacting Sony they offered to "repair" a brand new item that appears to have a design fault.

I would recommend avoiding this item like the plague!!
on 3 October 2013

What I Like About The Sony Xperia M
+ Build Quality
+ Design
+ Feels Premium
+ Lightweight (not heavy as Xperia S)
+ Vivid Screen Colours (unlike Xperia S washed out)
+ Software Is Butter Smooth (way better than the Xperia S Jelly Bean)
+ Battery Life
+ Ultra Fast Responsive Screen
+ Very Loud Speakers
+ Games Run Smooth
+ 1GB RAM which Helps :)
+ Call Volume via Loudspeaker Is Very Loud & Clear
+ Call Volume via Built-in Earpiece Is Loud & Clear

on 25 August 2013
Cute sized smartphone, the screen size is about 4 inches ( I say perfect for viewing general videos etc). All in all the phones is fantastic perfect for me I'll give you a roundup of the pros's and con's below :

PRO'S

The biggest pro about (in my opinion by the way) this phone is the range of Color's mines is in a bright color pop yellow. Ok its not the biggest pro but I like the color pop yellow design they have..

Sharing videos,photos etc is very easy with Sony's new feature One Touch like stated there's' minimum amount of fuss needed just a matter of touching smartphones...

A VERY Impressive HD camera 5 megapixels with autofocus and more...takes really nice professional looking photo's with upto 4x zoom.

Very economical Battery life, the smartphone automatically reserves your battery life by temporarily disabling apps that are not in use. Battery life is about 11 hours obviously this depends on how you use your smartphone..

Another clever feature of the phone which I'm yet to test out is the "HD Voice" feature - where you can talk normally and be heard clearly, without having to raise your voice when you are in noisy environments.

The phone is also Dual sim perfect for people who manage to phones...

The smartphone Wi-Fi is excellent too real fast internet speed and download time too.

CON'S

There aren't any the smartphone is that good or I haven't found anything wrong with it.

Altogether I think the Sony Xperia M is a really good smartphone does the basic job of a phone ( texting and calling) and the more advanced jobs of a smartphone ( HD Voice Feature , Hd Photo's Apps etc) :-)
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 May 2014
Ideal for anything you need to do at a great price, love the apps & graphics, clear screen, easy to understand, has front & rear camera which is fantastic, also a torch which for me is very handy late at night. Crackin wee phone.