PlayStation 3: Tower of power
- High-definition capabilities: Enjoy high-definition entertainment, HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) means you can use your PlayStation 3 with high-definition televisions as well as conventional TVs.
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD): The PlayStation 3 comes with a 60GB removable hard disk drive (HDD) allowing you to store your music, images and video files as well as content downloaded from Sonys online service.
- System interoperability: The PlayStation 3 and PSP are designed to work together so you can easily exchange media like photos, videos and music from your PlayStation 3 system to your PSP. Game developers are also working on innovative and exciting ways of integrating the PSP system into PlayStation 3 games.
- Backwards compatibility: The PlayStation 3 is compatible with over 1000, but not all, PSone and PlayStation 2 games as well as audio CDs and DVDs.
- Always on: PlayStation 3 delivers an "always-on" online experience; offering a world of online possibilities including multiplayer gaming, text and video messaging, voice chatting, downloading content and browsing the internet.
- Blu-Ray: The built-in Blu-ray disc player means you can enjoy next-generation high-definition entertainment, including games and movies.
Under the hood:
The PlayStation 3 is powered by the Cell Broadband Engine, a revolutionary microprocessor that leapfrogs the performance of existing processors, giving the PlayStation 3 system supercomputer-like power and performance that until now, game developers have only dreamt about. For example, the Cell Broadband Engine is 40 times faster than the chip that is found inside the PlayStation 2 console.
The PlayStation 3 systems Cell Broadband Engine is the very thing that game developers have always dreamt about. Its unique multi-processing unit design represents a tour de force in parallel processing. The ability to do more of everything at the same time means more enemies, more AI, more explosions, and more realistic gameplay. Amazing gameplay elements such as ragdoll physics and keyframe animation, enemy AI behaving unpredictably, glass cracking based on the size of the object that impacted it, and individual flecks of dust in a beam of sunlight are all possible with the PlayStation 3. The Cell Broadband Engine has the muscle and horsepower to move beyond artificial intelligence.
The built-in Blu-ray disc player means you can enjoy next-generation high-definition entertainment, including games and movies. Just as the DVD offered a technological leap from CDs, Blu-ray is the next leap forward in the advancement of data storage technology and digital entertainment. With Blu-ray, the PlayStation 3 offers game developers unprecedented power to express their creativity and a larger canvas to produce a level of interaction, sophistication and reality that has never existed in gaming. More than an evolution, Blu-ray is a revolution that frees developers from the constraints of storage space and allows them to dream in Blu-ray.
- High-definition: Blu-rays vast storage capacity (50 GB BD vs. 5 GB DVD) supports the large data requirements of high-definition games and movies.
- Pristine picture quality: Blu-Ray delivers pristine picture quality at 1080p - the highest-definition resolution available today.
- Theatre-quality audio: The PlayStation 3 has audio that redefines "life-like" with its 7.1 channel surround sound and true lossless audio. This theatre-quality "uncompressed" audio supports 8 channels of Liner PCM and up to 32 audio streams.
- Quality movies in high-definition: Seven of the eight major movie studios have already announced titles for Blu-ray, including Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate.
- Recordable media: Blu-ray offers a recordable format with unsurpassed storage capacity to store your digital world: photographs, home videos, music libraries and data, as well as games and movies.
- Maximum bit rate: With the overwhelming computational power of its Cell Broadband Engine processor, the PlayStation 3 is capable of playing back content from Blu-Ray at a bit rate of multiplex 48Mbps, the maximum bit rate defined in Blu-Ray standards.
- Industry support: Blu-Ray has the broadest industry support for any disc format ever launched and is supported by more than 170 of the worlds leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, Hewlett-Packard, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson.
SIXAXIS wireless controller:
Utilising sensors designed to read when a player angles, tilts, thrusts, or pulls, the SIXAXIS controller was designed to become a natural extension of the players body. And with the heritage of the PlayStation systems basic controller design still intact, gamers are now able to harness the intuitive movements of a multi-axis controller in a design that they are familiar and comfortable with.
- Motion sensing system: Thanks to breakthrough technology and a highly sensitive motion sensing system, the controller is a natural extension of the users body.
- Bluetooth: The PlayStation 3 can support up to seven wireless controllers using Bluetooth technology.
- Wireless or wired: The SIXAXIS controller can be easily switched from wireless to wired.
- Analogue joysticks: The tilting angle of the analogue joysticks has been slightly broadened to enable more delicate and dynamic manipulation.
- L2/R2 buttons: The shape of the L2/R2 buttons has been altered, enabling increased travel and precision for more subtle control in games.
- USB charging: Plug into a USB cable and automatically charge the controller through the system at any time.
The PlayStation 3 provides an endless array of multimedia activities, all without even inserting a game. It gives you unprecedented control, access and enjoyment of a full range of digital media including music, photos, video and internet content.
- Music and audio
- Play music CDs
- Connect to the internet to obtain detailed album information including album title, artist, length of album
- Copy CDs directly to your hard disk drive (HDD)
- Store and listen to other formats of audio/music files
- Movies and videos
- Play Blu-ray discs and DVDs
- Connect your digital video camera directly to your PlayStation 3 with a USB cable
- Store and watch your own videos
- Download exclusive video content from the PlayStation Store and the PlayStation 3 Portal
- Store your personal digital photo albums
- Use any of the various slideshow options to view stored images
- Surf the internet with the PlayStation 3 Internet Browser and the SIXAXIS wireless controller.
A sleek new look