Size: 4GB|Colour Name: Pink|Change

on 16 January 2016
I bought these after discovering waterproof headphones with speedo (who have subsequently discontinued their stock)
Was a little worried because it's quite a bit of money and these things can be a bit hit and miss with sound quality - but went for it and took them on holiday, where I struggled and struggled to get the headphones to stay in my ears, even after trying multiple bud sizes and when I finally did get them to fit, I could not swim very fast before they fell out again. Even as a avid swimmer, who wears a swimming cap, these things would not stick in my ears, even when placed under my cap.

So... next came a little inventive DIY - I had a spare pair of Bose QC 20 earphone tips (p.s any sports people out there who have trouble keeping headphones in your ears whilst working out, forget Beats sport and their lousy noise quality, get yourself a pair of Bose In ear Quiet comfort headphones - noise cancelling is incredible and they never fall out when running ect definitely worth every single penny!!) you can buy the tips online, some look slightly different but I recommend the ones that look like the link below - you may be able to find them cheaper on ebay.

Anyway, out the generic buds that come with the mp3 player and superglue the rim of new Bose headphones to the plastic MP3 player....the little in ear plastic grooves, which fit in your ear, really hold the walkman in place when swimming and the sound quality is amazing.... because they are ACTUALLY in your ear properly!

TRUST ME IM A SWIMMER!

Have fun with your new and improved headphones!

6pcs - 3 Pairs: S / M / L Noise Isolation with Extra Layer Comfort Earbuds Eartips for QuietComfort 20, QuietComfort 20i, QC20 and QC20i In Ear Earphones
review image
on 10 July 2014
I used to have the predecessor of this model, the NWZ-W273, which I loved but they were unreliable and after Amazon replaced 3 pairs under warranty, they eventually gave up and gave me a refund.
I then bought this version which has some subtly but welcome improvements. The instructions are better, it supports itunes (although it also supports drag and drop - my preferred option) and the big difference is that they now come with 2 sets of rubber earplugs (in 3 or 4 different sizes): either set can be used for swimming, but one set is spefifically designed with a membrane to keep the water out of the player. This makes them a little quieter, so you just turn the volume up one click... This membrane makes a huge difference to the resilience of the unit when you use it. It is true that if you get an earfull of water, the sound will go, but now it is a lot easier to clear your ear and then the player works perfectly again, without having to tap the water out of the player.
They stay in place fine if you use your goggle straps to secure them.
I swim 40 lengths front crawl 3-5 times/week, moderate pace, push and tumble turns.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions .
1010 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2014
This product is great and apart from the odd minor tweek here and there i cant fault it as a whole!

the setup/connection to pc/file transfer/charging is really easy, i think technophobes would even be at ease with it.

the usage: so far ive used it in the gym (resistance and cardio training), in the pool (breast stroke) and on 4k trail runs.

The headphones stay in place very well and are extreamly secure in all activities. I have noticed that if I do about one full length completly submerged in the pool, water tends to seep into the earcanal and obviosly affects sound however this is due to the fit of the earbuds not the player. The swimming earbuds do tend to reduce this however you sacrifice overall sound quality and volume. I haven't learnt how to dive with them in without them becoming waterlogged and disloged though but the product instructions do adv not to do this due to the pressure on the eardrum anyway.

No complaints with respect to the gym and running, and its great being able to move about with out a wire flapping or tugging and pulling or even headphones being ripped out or becoming dislodged at inconveinient moments.

The sound: From what ive read in the many reveiws on here, i was fearing the worst. i was expecting something like a cupped loudspeaker of an old mobile phone playing the dreaded tinny music of teenage years for the duration of my workout but then i thought, this is sony, it cant be that bad!

I like my music loud and i like it with alot of bass. Im not so keen on to much treble but i know it needs to be there to provide balance in the music i love. Im definatly not dissapointed with the sound production/quality of these, and the volume contrary to others opinions, is absolutely fine, especially whne it comes to drowning out the one direction playlist thats on in the gym. I think that the headphones give a decent balanced sound to most tracks.

Its got 13.5mm drivers and the speakers themselves are from the EX Series headphones which provide 20 – 20,000 Hz frequency again not too bad a product - certainly not the best sony have produced and sure they dont rival my skull candys heavy medal plugs but theyre adequate and do the job they were designed to do.

overall, a good product, that does what it says on the tin, looks good and is satisfing in the sound department.
recommended to all :) feel free to ask any questions
55 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2015
Great for running. Always used iPod or phone on armband with wired headphones previously and this is so much better and less cumbersome. Am still experimenting with the different sized ear plugs and device tightness as not competently comfortable to wear yet. Controls are intuitive on the go and the initial set up was easy and fast. Pleased so far.
on 20 November 2015
DO NOT BUY FROM EU DIGITAL!!!! IF IT STOPS WORKING AFTER 3 MONTHS (OR NEVER STARTED WORKING - BUT YOU ONLY REALISE IT'S FAULTY AFTER 3 MONTHS OF TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK) THEY WILL REFUSE TO REPLACE OR REFUND DESPITE BEING IN WARRANTY!!!!! YOU WILL BE LEFT WITH A FAULTY PRODUCT WITH NO-ONE ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WARRANTY!!!
I bought this for my wife earlier in the year but have never managed to get it to work despite trying all the different measures advised by Sony. After eventually admitting defeat and deciding it must be faulty I contacted EU Digital for a replacement/refund and they told me that, as it was over a month since I purchased it, they would not accept responsibility (despite it being well within the 1 yr warranty period) and advised me to make contact with Sony. Sony advised me that, as it was an "in-warranty exchange" EU Digital were obliged to replace it and advised me to ask EU Digital to contact them directly if they still refused. I fed this back to EU Digital and they still refused to accept responsibility and they keep responding with the same message that they do not accept responsibility for the product after 90 days. Sony have repeatedly insisted that EU Digitalare responsible for the full warranty period.
I WOULD THEREFORE STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST PURCHASING THIS PRODUCT FROM EU DIGITAL
on 12 July 2015
This piece of equipment has a mind of its own. It worked fine for the first month, but then it started to malfunction altogether. The 'Lock' does not lock at all the controls, the volume goes down by itself and then disappears, it starts the zapping by itself, it is a nightmare.
Since the deadline for returns has expired, I cannot send it back and do not know what to do, as I am stuck with a product that does not do what it was supposed to be doing and cannot have my money back :-(
on 29 July 2014
This is the best waterproof mp3 I have had, I have had 3 finis swip3 and 6 speedo aquabeats but this one is the best so far it doesn't move at all,earplugs stay in place I swim 64 lengths in a 25m pool 50 front crawl 14 breast stroke I wear my hat on top of it so don't no if that helps stopping it move or not. The only problem is sometimes ithink i have knocked it off and it hasn't gone off so when I go to use it next time it's flat but that's my fault and have started double checking now.
Garbage. Doesn't do what it is supposed to do - be able to listen while swimming.
First problem, everything sounds very faint. Digging into the manuals I found it's limited by design to some sort of EU standard for low noise.
Secondly, to use it in the water requires the use of the swimming buds which cover over the earpiece, muting it further. this made it inaudible in the water when I stayed absolutely still and impossible when I breathed out making bubbles.

I then raised the volume of my mp3 files by 15x (yes, an insane volume increase). It was able to be heard while swimming today, but only if I held my breath so no bubble noise was generated - I'm not going to hold my breath for a full 3.6km ironman training set!

Plus, when I turned at the end of the lap it fell off, twice before I threw it into my swim-bag in frustration.

So, totally useless as a swimming earpiece.
Maybe it's possible to use as a running or general sports earpiece, but it's not sold as that nor did I buy it as that, hence the 1 star.
on 12 December 2015
These take some getting used to - For swimming I have to wear my goggles on top of my head and tuck the cable up the back of the goggle strap to hold in place and the ear pieces do need re-adjusting every few lengths (especially if swimming underwater). Headphones seem to stay in place much more securely when wearing a swimming cap too.
Ideally the volume could do with going a few notches higher on the maximum setting.
Music is easy to upload (can drag and drop) and headphones charge quickly.
For me the positives far outweigh the negatives. The headphones allow me to swim for much longer without getting bored. Despite the fiddly nature of putting them on this is a great product and I'd happily buy again!
on 15 August 2014
I was looking for a mp3 player for going to the gym and accidentally came across this all in one water proof mp3 player from Sony.

First of all, the sound quality is good. Not great but if you are in a gym or in a swimming pool there can be a lot of ambient noise that would prevent you from appreciating really high quality music quality.

Getting music on to the mp3 player is really easy. Just plug it into your computer and drag the songs you want into the music folder. If you use iTunes, you can drag and drop from that as well.

Before working out, going for a run or swimming, it’s important to make sure you are using the appropriate included ear buds that give a snug fit or the unit can fall out or let water into your ears. From a safety/convenience perspective, it is great not to have wires dangling from your ears while exercising. This all in one idea works really well in my opinion.

Using the mp3 player (by the way, can Sony come up with a better name than NWZ-W273S? How about Waterman or something?) is straightforward. I would have liked the ability to fast forward through songs but that hardly a show stopper. After a few minutes, changing the volume/songs is second nature.

Its only 4gb so if you have a large music collection you won’t be able to get it all on. However, it would be a nightmare to try a navigate through thousands of songs on a device like this (although you can have playlists).

Overall, I was torn between getting this or the iPod shuffle and I am very happy with my choice. The Sony is waterproof and there is less risk of loose wires getting tangled up or caught in anything.