4.5 out of 5 stars1,086
Colour Name: Metallic White|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 May 2014
These are the updated model of the popular MDR-ZX300 range, there are some minor cosmetic differences compared to this newer MDR-ZX310 model (Sony logo offset from the middle, slightly different mouldings on the headband area only small differences though)

As I have both models I can compare them esp in regards to sound.
Both have 30mm neodymium drivers, and the same 10–24,000Hz frequency range

Quick summary of good and bad

Good:
+ Good tonal balance with excellent bass response
+ Build is fine for the price feel reasonably well made, cans are foldable
+ Comfy and lightweight I've worn these for hours and they never annoy even longer wearing periods
+ Well spread out tonality giving a good feeling of presence

Cons:
- Cord length is 1.2m which might be a bit short for some (ie listening to tv, hifi etc)

Sound wise these sound a little better balanced than the older model, slightly brighter in the mids and highs. Bass is very good for a budget set of cans, with nice depth and good soundstage. These sound a lot better than you expect in this price range and are a good choice for budget phones which are light, sound good and very portable.

They don't have the same natural tonality and near perfect blend of bass/mids/treble as my more expensive Yamaha HPH-200's, but these cost a lot less and sound good for the asking price. One of the better budget cans available in this price range. A solid buy
44 comments|172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
There are a really nice pair of headphones. These were a replacement for the Sennheiser headphones which I purchased a couple of years back. Wear and tear over the years meant it required replacing and these Sony headphones are a fantastic replacement at a incredibly low price for the quality you get from a world leader in electronics.

Comfortable padding on the ears means that you can wear them for a while without your ears hurting. I brought the red headphones and they look really good compared to the Sennheisers. I''m not an audiophile, but the sound from these are superb.

They are foldable and fold away easily when you want to store them. The headphone cable is a decent length. long enough so headphones connected to your phone in your trouser pocket won't catching to anything, but short enough that you don't have a lot of excess lead.
on 24 October 2014
Having never buying Sony headphones (mostly earphones) these have been the best for sound quality at a very respectable price. They produce excellent, rumbing, vibrating bass only if you up the volume to 75% on an iPod. They produce very detailed mids, and the high trembles are very slightly piercing at high volumes, but good enough for an audiophile like me to overlook.

The build quality isn't the best, the headband is cheap plastic and bends quite easily. The drivers themselves are covered by cheap plastic, but do feature a nice texture alongside the Sony logo. They look like they cost a lot, but don't feel it. Sony put all the money on the sound. As for comfort, the ear padding is acceptable, and are comfortable for up to three hours non-stop use, they the ears or the top of the head begin to ache.

Overall, for £18 (currently) I have to say that these are by far the best quality for money. I would reccommend these for at home usage at a desktop or laptop, they are ok for walking, but havent been manufactured to support that. Get them, while their cheap and very much cheerful!
on 17 October 2014
I consider myself an audiophile, so it felt rather counter-intuitive of me to buy these headphones. However, I needed something for my rapid tube commute and figured that - for forty minutes per day - I could live with the compromises that come with headphones that are super budget. I'd recently tried the SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black but I found them too uncomfortable on my skinny ears. So, I set my budget at around £20 and considered the available headphones.

At this price point the MDR-ZX310s have the following notable competition:
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD 202 Closed Back On-Ear Stereo Headphone
Sony Noise Isolating Headphones with Smartphone Control, Mic, Cord - Black/White (MDR-ZX610)

Out of the four, these headphones have the worst sound straight out of the box. I think the HD201s and the MDR-ZX610s (the Sony model above the ones reviewed here) sound joint best, with the HD202s a close second place.

Why, then, did I buy the worst sounding pair? Well, they are - in my opinion - the most comfortable of the four, the best suited for commuting (lightweight and compact), and match my personal aesthetics. If the ZX610s had had a black cable, rather than that garishly thick white one, I would have spent the extra £10 and bought those! The Sennheiser 201s wouldn't sit comfortably around my neck, and the cable on the 202s is way too long to be messing around with on the commute.

I would describe the sound of the MDR-ZX310s - straight out of the box - as muffled, bassless, and directionless. HOWEVER, with some tweaking and dedication, you can get these to sound better. Firstly, I would recommend playing around with the EQ settings on your portable device. I found that the Latin EQ (smiley-faced EQ) on the iPod made these headphones sound much more alert and engaging. Secondly, I would recommend AT LEAST two four hour sessions with the free Tekfusion Burn-In Player (Google it). Finally, a few overnight cycles on your iPod on random playing through the headphones should get the drivers exercised enough and accustom the cans to your desired sound style. Having done all of these I must say that the sound quality of the headphones has improved to the point where it approaches the quality of the 610s that I auditioned. Don't get me wrong, they still sound pretty poor in comparison to more expensive models, but you have to take price into consideration here. At this price point, if sound quality is your only concern, I wouldn't recommend these headphones. But if you want compact comfort then they should be considered.

Gear used with these headphones:
iPod 160 GB
ALAC Files
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 May 2014

As I have both models I can compare them esp in regards to sound.
Both have 30mm neodymium drivers, and the same 10–24,000Hz frequency range

Quick summary of good and bad

Good:
+ Good tonal balance with excellent bass response
+ Build is fine for the price feel reasonably well made, cans are foldable
+ Well spread out tonality giving a good feeling of presence

Cons:

22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2015
Bought these for the kids to use on holiday, so we were mainly looking for durable headphones more than anything. The build quality appears good, but it is still early days. They come with thick cables which appear to be hard wearing. As you would expect with headphones in this price range the sound range isn't great. The lows are ok but anything higher than this sounds muffled. In short.....a well made pair of budget headphones, just don't expect them to compare with the more expensive headphones for sound quality
on 28 January 2015
I've never really got along with in ear headphones but recently I've increasingly found myself in a position where headphones would have come in handy. I looked around and after a bit of consideration and looking at a few reviews I decided to spend a little more than I initially intended on these.

They arrived quickly and I have to say that all in all I'm really impressed. They look fantastic, they're a great colour and look far more expensive than they actually are. Build quality seems very good too although they do feel a little plasticky but that's to be expected. I don't find any headphones particularly comfortable to be honest but these are the most comfortable set of headphones I've ever worn although they're also the most expensive I've ever bought despite still being fairly cheap.

What I'm really impressed by though is the sound quality. The sound quality is excellent and far better than I had expected. Also really good is that even on a fairly high volume they don't disturb my partner so they appear to leak little to no sound at all.

All in all very happy with them, 3/5 for comfort (although that's most likely just me), 4/5 for quality and 5/5 for looks and sound quality.
on 11 September 2014
Light, easy to wear even with glasses on which can be a problem. I my head size is small so can sometimes struggle to find headphones that wont slip off due to not closing tight enough, these do it ok compared to a lot I have tried. Good quality you would expect from Sony. Padding on the ear pad a little thinner than I would have liked but on the whole cant fault them.
on 21 December 2015
after only a couple of uses the wires became faulty and one side stopped working
on 20 February 2015
For 15 quid I wasn't expecting much but these are certainty something, they reproduce sound just as good as my Sony 50 pound set of earplugs, work great on a plane and look the part, would definitely recommend