on 1 January 2015
I love this camera! I was looking to update my current camera (Sony DSC-W320) in-terms of spec hence I was attracted by its good looks, spec & that it is similar to my current DSC-W320 plus the price. The panorama button is very handy to have since I have no experience of 360 Degree photos so that feature will be fun! The video is HD for short movies, 8 x zoom & 20.1 mega pixels are all excellent features which is better than my current spec from the DSC-W320 which is now 5 years old however; still going strong. This has become my main camera & some test shots have turned out well. Easy to use, great quality photos & state of the art for a compact camera at a good price. Highly recommended for people wanting a high quality compact (pocket) camera at a reasonable price with many features.
Colour Name: Purple|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a basic snap camera the W830 is fine. Lots of tech features for various shooting modes but within rather limited shooting options and I think this is what the majority of buyers for this type of camera want, also I think the compact size is a strong selling point.

Outside on a bright sunny day it works perfectly and the zoom delivers good results. Movies and sound, for very basic shooting, are reasonable. The panorama option I thought was really rather superficial, far too short at a few seconds to do anything creative though maybe useful if you wanted to shoot a room interior or line of people. Nice of Sony to replace the rather ungainly zoom lever on the WX80 with a much more easy to use toggle switch on this camera.

The downside for me with the W-830 are not the images but a couple of other areas to do with the camera and Sony. The battery/card cover is rather flimsy and could easily be broken accidentally. It takes longer than I would have expected for the camera to get ready for the next shot. Sony persist in producing dedicated accessories for their products. Here you get a USB cable to connect the camera to a pc for charging or downloading images, this looks like a unique Sony connector cable (it will not even fit the slightly older WX80 camera) and as another review has said: don't lose it. Of course you can take the card out and download images with a reader but you can't recharge the battery without the Sony cable.

The Instruction Manual is just a concertina sheet of one-side printed paper and only covers the very basics. Even the two PDFs on the Sony website just repeat the same information (one PDF has it in several languages) to get any real information you have to click on 'Help Guide' and explore various pages. A worthwhile one is 'Before Use', then click on 'List of icons displayed on the screen'. Amazingly there are several dozen. Sony should really provide all the information in the 'Help Guide' as a downloadable PDF, as they do on their US site! I still have a 2004 Sony Manual to the Cyber-shot P100 with 126 pages of step-by-step illustrated instructions. The screen icons for the P100 numbered seventy-four (and to be honest I would still use the camera if the LCD screen was bigger)

If you want to take straightforward record-of-the-moment shots the W830 is as good as any other compact camera.
Colour Name: Silver|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
♦ Brief ♦

The W830 is within Sony's "budget" range of compact cameras and is available for a fairly low price, but sacrifices a lot of extra features the more "premium" cameras have, such as WiFi, NFC, extra zoom and better components etc...

This camera comes in our different colours (black, silver, purple or pink) and is so compact, it can fit into the palm of my hand. It's also very comfortable camera to hold and is very light in weight.

Photo quality is okay, it can take some pretty decent photos but due to its small sensor, quality is going to be limited.

♦ Box Contents & Recommended Extras ♦

- Box Contents: W830 Digital Camera | Battery | USB Cable | AC Adaptor | Power Cable | Wrist Strap | Instruction Manual.

- Recommended Extras: SDHC Memory Card* | Spare Battery.

* There's no flash memory(well, enough to take 4 photos), so getting one of these are a must! (You can go for any brand you want, however I would recommend a memory card with no less than 8GB memory capacity & of class 10).

♦ Ease of Use & Navigation ♦

Personally, I found the camera really easy to navigate around, both externally and internally.

There aren't too many buttons located around the camera like you would find on the more advanced cameras.

To select which shooting mode you want (photo, panoramic or filming), there is a little slider on the back that allows you to switch between each one.

When it comes to different modes within the cameras software, just click the menu button and scroll through. You have four different modes to choose from:

Intelligent Auto: "Exposure adjustment with automatic settings".

Program Auto: "Auto exposure with adjustable settings".

Picture Effect: Choose between the "Toy Camera", "Pop Colour", "Partial Colour" or "Soft High-Key" effects.

Scene Selection: 11 different pre-set modes to choose from that will adjust the settings for different scenes, such as "Portrait", "Landscape", "Night Scene", "Beach" & "Snow".

Compared to how other cameras handle taking panoramic photos, Sony's cameras makes it really easy to take such photos, you literally press the shutter button and sweep the camera from left to right, which it then stitches them all together for you.

Movie mode there are only two settings to select from; "Auto" & "Picture Effect".

♦ Photo & Video Quality ♦

A higher mega-pixel count in a camera does not mean it's going to have better photo quality compare to a camera that has less mega-pixels, there's more to it; sensor size, lens quality & the imaging processor etc... The more mega-pixels there are, means the larger prints you can get without the loss of image quality, but if you don't have a decent photo then you're just left with having an oversized photo that takes up more space on your memory card (Roughly 7.5MB per photo!).

Baring in mind this camera is more towards the budget range, the quality isn't going to be crisp, and unfortunately after dealing with some higher-end cameras, it's made me notice the poorer quality much more than what I would have done so beforehand.

So photo quality results I've had whilst using this camera have been a mixed bag, many shots taken have looked pretty sharp, clear and genuinely really good, whereas other times not so much with photos looking blurred and a bit grainy.

This camera performs well outdoors in decent lighting; landscapes, portrait or taking photos of flowers came out really well in my opinion, only rarely would I have a random problem with exposure.

With the zoom, I had a lot of issues regarding to the focus, on the camera screen I wouldn't think twice, but it's when I have the images on my computer, I notice the images are actually blurred... Ooops, too late for retakes!

Low-lighting conditions are a hit or miss with this camera, most photos come out okay, it's only when you start zooming into the photos you'll notice the slight noise that comes with the photo, other times the noise can be apparent straight away, along with the photo not being as sharp as it could.

Panoramic images looked great with the image zoomed out to fill the screen on my laptop, but when you zoom in you can tell the quality isn't quite there.

Using the 720p setting when filming videos were okay, nothing special but is at a level where it's good for home videos etc... That's about it.

If there is one thing I could say that really bothered me, it would be the screen. In-low lighting conditions, the screen can seem fuzzy and there is some very noticeable lag when moving the camera around.

♦ Final Opinion ♦

The W830 is an okay camera, not the best but certainly not the worst. Its size will be very convenient for people who want a camera that can simply slip into ones pocket, and most of the time can deliver decent snapshots, with the ability to zoom in 8x to get those out of reach subjects.

This camera definitely has its ups and downs so I've listed the ones that have stood out to me during my use.

✔ Pros:
✓ Very compact.
✓ Comfortable to hold.
✓ Easy to navigate & use.
✓ Has the ability to take some decent photos.
✓ Partial colour is a really cool mode that singles out a single colour in a photo (blue, green, red or yellow).
✓ Sweep panorama mode makes it simple to take such photos, all in one sweeping motion.

✖ Cons:
✘ Poor in low-lighting conditions.
✘ Sometimes struggles focusing when using zoom.
✘ Video quality not the best.
✘ Screen looks fuzzy when in low-lighting conditions.

► Note: I have uploaded various photo examples, these can be found via the link just under the product picture. No adjustments were made on the actual photos.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This may be a brilliant compact camera or a terrible one, depending on what you want from it.

This is the first camera I have used that does not have an optical viewfinder so it took some getting used to. I am a bit old-school in that I like to hold the camera to my eye because it just feels right and also because that helps to brace the camera and hold it steady. It felt a bit srange taking pictures at arms length, but I didn't get the blurring I was expecting so it looks like the image stabilisation does enough to compensate for a bit of arm wobbling.

For casual use this seems to be fine. It looks good, has a decent lens, and is small enough to slip into even a shirt pocket easily. I have taken to keeping it with me when I am out with the dogs, which my old compact camera was a bit bulky for.

The battery life seems good. I have taken about 150 photos, many with flash, and done a lot of playing around with it and the indicator still shows at least half a charge. I have left it on full automatic mode which has coped with fast moving dogs and landscapes equally well. The macro mode is particularly good, focussing on objects really close to the lens. At the other extreme, the optical zoom is very respectable.

There are a few built-in effects which seem a bit gimmicky, but the colour filters do work very well, giving effects that I have previously spent ages in photo editing packages to achieve, and the panorama works well both sideways and up and down.

Unfortunately there are some bad points to weigh against all that. For a start the camera does not feel very solid, being made of plastic. This is especially true of the on/off button which requires a very robust press to operate, and the cover for the battery/memory card compartment. It is only a little thing, but I am frustrated that the door does not latch shut - you have to slide the lock across to secure it.

Worse than that, the processor feels quite slow. When you take a photo there is quite a lag while the camera saves the shot. Part of this is because it is processing very large files - larger than 7MB if you are shooting at 20 megapixels. Changing the default to 10 or even 5 megapixels does speed it up a bit and 10 megapixels is more than enough. I guess Sony have to cram more megapixels into the CCD in order to appeal to people who think more is better, but personally I would rather they had stuck to 12 maximum and spent the money on the processor instead. Even 5 megapixels is more than enough if all you are going to do with the results is put them on Facebook or a digital picture frame.

In summary, the camera is convenient and fine for casual use. I expect I will carry it with me a lot for opportunistic photos but if I am going anywhere special I will take the big DSLR as well.
on 8 April 2016
I bought this camera as gift for my mom, who used to have the Cybershot camera, but an older model. What surprised us both was that it takes AGES to actually snap a photo. I don't know what guys at Sony thought they were doing, but they certainly didn't improve the quality of customer experience. The camera itself is okay though, it's just this one thing that is annoying - it prevents us basically for taking any quick pictures and capturing the moment unless you stand approximately 7-10 seconds still. I would not buy it again.
on 3 February 2016
Great little camera , bought it for my wife to keep in her handbag . Has the Zeiss and you can't get better than that .
on 18 April 2016
This a cracking little Camera,it takes some lovely looking pictures, which I use as a spare sometimes, as I don't want to be carrying my SLR Camera all the time,and it easily fits into your pocket which is very handy,and also another good thing is that it takes Video & Panoramic shots.
All in all a very good Digital Compact Camera,and gets 5 Stars !
on 28 January 2016
Prompt delivery. ideal for the various situations we use it for. Would buy again
on 26 December 2015
Fab camera very small fits in pocket .The lens zooms right out to give an impressive optical close up if you can hold still. The menu as always from Sony is user friendly, and the small case you can buy to go with it fits tight to protect it.
on 26 July 2014
All in all it is good value for price. Sometimes the autofocus could be better (I'm talking about the easy mode) and the only real downside is that if you start shooting Hd video the battery drains quick.